Procedure for Applying to the RN-BS in Nursing
The RN/BS Program is now accepting applications for the Fall 2013 semester.
Please note: It is essential that you follow the procedure listed here. A specific admissions process has been established for this program. Do NOT apply through the University's standard admissions website, as doing so will delay review of your materials and may result in your admission being deferred to the following year.
The online application and payment will need to be completed in one sitting. The process should take approximately 20 minutes.
Students may transfer non-nursing course credits from other institutions to meet most program requirements. A total of 45 credits, including 28 nursing credits must be taken at UMD. These courses may be satisfied through the UMass Dartmouth Professional and Continuing Education division with online, blended or face-to-face courses. Nursing courses build on RN prior knowledge and skills and support professional development. A clinical course allows students to increase their knowledge in community nursing through faculty directed independent practice.
1. Collect the information you will need to complete the online application:
- Personal information, including social security number and family information.
- Your emergency contact information.
- Green card number or Visa Status if you are a non-US Citizen. (Note that there are limitations on online courses if you have an F-1 visa.)
- If you have attended other colleges before applying to UMass Dartmouth, have those attendance dates and (if applicable) graduation dates available.
- Visa or MasterCard for the $40 application fee.
2. Apply Now and launch the online application. Select Nursing RN-BS Degree Completion as your major, and Transfer Continuing Ed as your Admit Category. After you apply online, you will receive your student identification number from UMass Dartmouth. Please write your name and your student identification number on every item you send either by email or postal mail.
3. In addition to the online application, you will need to supply the following materials via postal service for your application to be complete:
- A copy of your current United States unencumbered RN license.
- Official transcripts of all previous college or university courses for which you enrolled. Course descriptions (from the institution's catalog) may be required; providing them initially is recommended.
- If you are an international student, Results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), unless you have attended a school in which the language of instruction is English for at least one year.
- If you are being sponsored by agencies, companies, or other organizations: an affidavit of support, signed by an appropriate official.
- Mail all materials to:
University of Massachusetts Dartmouth
Attn: RN-BS Online Degree Program
285 Old Westport Road
North Dartmouth, MA 02747-2300
4. Once your application is complete, you will be scheduled for a meeting with the RN-BS Track Option Director, Debbie Hawkins. This meeting can be conducted in person, if you're in the southeastern Massachusetts region or by virtual meeting technology. (Technical details will be provided when the meeting is scheduled with you, but will not require any more than what the online program itself will entail.)
5. Please check with your State Board of Nursing to determine if they accept an out of state BS in Nursing.
Procedure for Re-admission into the RN-BS in Nursing
1. If you need to take a semester off for a Leave of Absence, Medical leave or Military Activation please complete an Undergraduate Student Leave of Absence/Withdrawal Form and speak to a Student Affairs staff member by calling 508.999.8640.
2. When planning your return, please contact Barbara Santos, the RN-BS program secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Request a re-admit form from the Registrar’s office. Please call 508.999.8623.
4. If you do not have an approved Leave of Absence, you will need to include a re-admit fee of $105.
5. Include a copy of your unencumbered RN license.
For additional information concerning the RN-BS Program, please contact:
Barbara Santos, the RN-BS program secretary, at email@example.com or 508.999.8591
Professor Debbie Hawkins
RN-BS Track Option Director
UMass Dartmouth College of Nursing
Office: Dion 202-B
508-910-6519 or 508-999-8591
Visit the College of Nursing website at www.umassd.edu/nursing