The WMS major is composed of 36 credits, with 21 required credits at the upper level, that are completed in the following way:
Five Core Courses as follows:
- WMS 101: Introduction to Women's & Gender Studies
- WMS 201: Introduction to Feminist Theory
- WMS 312: Feminist Research Methods
- Course in Feminist Theory (WMS 302: Global Feminism; WMS 305: Contemporary Feminist Theory; WMS 306: Third Wave Feminism; WMS 307: Ecofeminism)
- WMS 499: Capstone Seminar
One course in each of the following concentration areas:
- Gender Studies
- Politics, Justice, and Policy
- Cross-Cultural Inquiry
- Arts and Letters
Two additional courses in one of the four concentration areas listed above.
One elective course in any of the concentrations or in feminist theory.
View our course descriptions
In addition, students will need to meet the overall College of Arts and Sciences and university degree requirements as follows:
- A total of 120 credits is required for the BA.
- A minimum GPA of 2.0 in all courses is required.
- A minimum GPA of 2.0 in all courses used to satisfy the Women's & Gender Studies Major requirements is required.
- 60 credits completed at UMass Dartmouth (45 if transferring from another 4-year institution)
- 30 credits in 300+ level courses taken at or under supervision of UMass Dartmouth
Additional online courses are available each semester to build your course load. Working with your WMS faculty advisor, you will receive your degree progress each semester to ensure degree completion in two years.