Students interested in a career in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering are invited to apply to the Barry Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Program.
The Barry Goldwater Scholarship is designed to attract outstanding students into careers in mathematics, the natural sciences, and engineering. Scholarships are awarded on the basis of merit to students who are sophomores or juniors during the current academic year and who have excellent academic records and demonstrated interest in and potential for careers in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering.
The scholarship covers eligible expenses for tuition, fees, books, and room and board to a maximum of $7,500 per academic year. Junior scholarship recipients can expect to receive a maximum of two years of scholarship support. Senior scholarship recipients are eligible for a maximum of one year of scholarship support.
To be considered for nomination, a student must:
• be a current sophomore or junior pursuing a bachelor’s degree on a full-time basis. A current sophomore student in a two-year college who plans to transfer to a baccalaureate program may be nominated.
• have an average of at least B or the equivalent and be in the upper fourth of his or her class.
• be a U.S. citizen or Permanent resident.
• have a demonstrated interest in a career in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering.
• be nominated by his or her college or university on the official online nomination survey application provided by the Barry Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Foundation.
How to apply
Colleges and universities nominate students for Goldwater Scholarships. Information may be obtained from the UMass Dartmouth Goldwater Scholarship Faculty Representative:
Room: Larts 394H
More information for applicants can be found on the Barry Goldwater Scholarship website.
A distinguished committee of educators; deans; and mathematics, natural science, and engineering faculty members will review the nominee’s credentials and recommend a pool of qualified individuals to the Board of Trustees of the Goldwater Foundation. The Trustees will make the final approval.
- Faculty Reps must submit their online nominations by 5:00 p.m. central time January 31, 2013.
- All supporting documents must be received by February 1, 2013.
- Applications have to be submitted online from the Foundation’s website at www.act.org/goldwater. No paper applications will be accepted.