Participate in the Office of Undergraduate Research's Three Minute Thesis competition
The Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) is an academic competition developed by The University of Queensland (UQ), Australia for research students.
- 1st prize: $1,000
- 2nd prize: $500
- 3rd prize: $250
- "People's Choice Award": $250
Undergraduate preliminary round—Tues, April 28 2:00-4:00 LIB 207
Graduate preliminary round—Wed, April 29 2:00-4:00 Library Grand Reading Room
Finals (Undergraduate and Graduate)—Thurs, April 30 2-4 Library Grand Reading Room
- A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted. No slide transitions, animations or 'movement' of any description are allowed. The slide is to be presented from the beginning of the oration.
- No additional electronic media (e.g., sound and video files) are permitted.
- No additional props (e.g., costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum and competitors exceeding 3 minutes are disqualified.
- Presentations are to be spoken word (e.g., no poems, raps or songs).
- Presentations are to commence from the stage.
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts their presentation through either movement or speech.
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final.
At every level of the competition each competitor will be judged on the judging criteria listed below. Each criterion is equally weighted and has an emphasis on audience.
- Communication Style - was the thesis topic and its significance communication in language appropriate to an intelligent but non-specialist audience?
- Comprehension - did the presentation help the audience understand the research?
- Engagement - did the oration make the audience want to know more?
Download the registration form or contact email@example.com.