University of Massachusetts Dartmouth Policy for Temporary Restricted Parking
Purpose: The purpose of this policy is to provide employees who have temporary medical conditions, with a parking space restricted for use during the period of their temporary medical condition.
Definition: A temporary medical condition is one that, when healed allows the employee to resume normal activities within three months. Examples are a sprained/broken ankle, surgery recovery or other medical condition that limits the employee’s ability to walk unaided for a distance of 400 feet.
A temporary medical condition may also be defined as a chronic medical condition (one that is not expected to heal) or a medical condition that will take in excess of three months to heal. In this case the University will provide the employee with a bridge space while the employee applies for a state issued Handicapped Placard from the state in which they reside.
- An employee who meets the criteria listed above should submit to Human Resources a document written and signed by the employee's physician, stating such medical condition and the expected duration of time the medical condition will last.
- Upon Human Resources review and approval, Human Resources shall sign off on the letter and email Parking Services with the employee's name and the epiration date of the temporary handicap hangtag. All medical documentation must be submitted directly to Human Resources and will be maintained in Human Resources.
- The employee will be given a handicap hangtag for their vehicle's rearview mirror. The hangtag will clearly state the expiration date.
- The employee shall then be entitled to the use of any handicap space on campus until the expiration date listed on the tag. These hangtags are not renewable. Maximum total duration not to exceed 90 calendar days.
- If the employee or physician expects the temporary medical condition to last more than the 90 days, the employee should apply to the Registry of Motor Vehicles in the state where they reside, for a temporary Handicapped Placard.