Parking fee refunds

A full refund will occur up to the end of the official drop/add period established by Enrollment Services.

Refund policy

In order to qualify for a refund, the actual decal must be scraped off. Bring all pieces to the Parking Office.

Refunds are issued as follows:

Refund requested duringRefund amount
1st week of classes 100%
2nd week of classes 75%
3rd week of classes 50%
4th week of classes 25%

There will be no refund after the 4th week of classes. Please allow 3-4 weeks processing time.

Refunds for December graduates
Students completing their course of studies in December and graduating may obtain a refund for half the academic year by following these instructions:

  1. Remove decal from windshield
  2. Obtain a dated letter from the Registrar stating that you will be graduating
  3. Bring the decal and letter to the Parking Office
  4. Fill out Request for Refund Form
  5. Allow 2-3 weeks for refund to process

Vehicle change

It is the responsibility of the permit holder to remove the permit (or decal) from any vehicle that is transferred. Upon return of the old permit, you may apply for a replacement.

Parking decal/permit replacements/reassignments

  • When you have a change in residence or move off campus, remove decal from windshield of vehicle and bring decal with one of the following to the Parking Office: 
    • Housing Release Form (move off campus)
    • Email from your Resident Director (resident change)
  • When a decal or permit is stolen, replacements will be issued with a copy of the police report.
  • If you sell or trade or total a registered vehicle, it is your responsibility to bring your old decal or permit to Parking Services and obtain a new decal or permit for your new vehicle. If the old decal or permit is not available you are to bring your new vehicle registration. If this new vehicle registration has the same license plate number as the vehicle with the permit, a new permit will be issued. If the new vehicle license plate number is different than the license plate number on file at the Parking Services Office, you must have supporting documentation, i.e.:

    1. Total Loss Report from your Insurance Co.
    2. Return Plate Form from the Registry of Motor Vehicles.
    3. Windshield Replacement Statement.

If you do not present any of the above you must purchase a new decal or permit at 50% of the decal price.