Learn Essential HR Skills: Improve your ability to handle challenging HR issues.
The SHRM® Essentials of HR Management Certificate Program is an introductory course offering a comprehensive overview of the human resource function. Offered in partnership with the Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM), this cost-effective course covers today's most vital and timely topics, including employment law, selecting qualified employees, compensation, orientation and training, and the employee performance process.
The SHRM Essentials course is specifically designed to challenge you and provide the skills you need to confidently face today's complex HR situations and compliance issues within your organization. You will participate in interactive case study activities designed for you to practice real-life HR situations in a non-threatening atmosphere.
You'll benefit from the shared experiences of your instructor and peers, while learning techniques for handling HR challenges through interactive case studies designed to make you feel comfortable dealing with HR issues.
Who should take this course?
This program is designed for entry-level HR professionals, small business owners responsible for the HR function in their companies and people looking into HR as a career-change possibility.
These are typical job titles of students who have completed the program:
|Time:||Details are TBA|
|Fee:||$570 plus $30 Registration Fee|
Cancellation policy: Before the first class meeting, all course charges will be refunded except a $30 non-refundable registration fee. Once class begins, NO Refunds will be permitted.
Program Requirements: There are no admission requirements to take this program, however certain criteria must be met for participants taking the PHR or SPHR exam. See exam requirements below.
PHR Exam Requirements:
1 year of demonstrated professional HR experience with a Master's degree or higher
2 years of demonstrated professional HR experience with a Bachelor's degree
4 years of demonstrated professional HR experience with less than a Bachelor's degree
SPHR Exam Requirements:,
4 years of demonstrated professional HR experience with a Master's degree or higher
5 years of demonstrated professional HR experience with a Bachelor's degree
7 years of demonstrated professional HR experience with less than a Bachelor's degree
For more information, see the certification information handbook for fees and other details at www.HRCI.org.
Each Participant receives a Participant Activities Book and a Participant's Reference Book. The six learning modules cover broad spectrum of topics and provide important knowledge and skills you can use immediately in your day-to-day job:
1. Human Resource Management:Gain a clear understanding of the HR function
- Roles and responsibilities
- Important steps and outcomes in the HR planning process
2. Employment Law: Enhance your ability to apply key HR legislation
- Civil Rights Act
- EEOC, Affirmative Action, and elements of the affirmative action plan
- Pregnancy, Age and Disability legislation
- Many other employee protection laws
3. Recruitment and Selection:Gain important skills for selecting employees
- Recruiting methods and their effectiveness
- Key selection tools
- Adverse impact calculations
- Interview biases
4. Compensation and Benefits:Learn the key elements of a total compensation system
- Framework for base pay, incentives, differentials and increases
- Job analysis and documentation
- Methods for job evaluation
- Benefits commonly offered by employers
5. Employee Development:Gain an understanding of orientation, development and training
- Effective adult learning, both on-the-job and off-the-job
- Four levels of evaluation
6. Performance Management:Discover the purpose and process for performance appraisals
- Common appraisal methods and errors
- Legal concepts surrounding the disciplinary process
- Guideline for conducting disciplinary meetings
For more information
Contact Dennis Paquette at 508.910.9067 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The SHRM® Learning System | The SHRM® Essentials of HR Management