List of Student Organizations An advisor’s role is to assist student organizations, guiding the students to make wise decisions while displaying leadership and decision making skills. An advisor is needed in varying levels depending on the student organization’s needs. Some organizations require more hands on assistance as they are more active than others. Being an advisor can be an overall rewarding experience. It’s a chance to work with students outside the classroom, enhancing both the advisor’s and student’s university experience.
An advisor’s responsibility to the group,
Creating continuity from year to year:
- Keeping the history and traditions alive as the years go on.
- Creating inter group relations.
- Being an exemplary figure of responsibility and being a good leader.
- Making sure the officers are well organized and focused on developing an effective group operation.
- The advisor should be well informed of all plans and activities of the group.
- Keeping the organization on track with campus rules and regulations.
- Providing advice when asked.
- The advisor should make sure that all students interact, encouraging all members to communicate their opinions and ideas, and discourage domination of the group by individual or group.
- The advisor is also recommended to attend the events sponsored by the group and to assist in the setting the tone of the occasion.
- Creating new programming ideas, inspiring change.
- Providing opportunities of learning new skills.
- Helping to apply principles learned in the classroom.
- Showing possible new directions and focuses.
For more information see the Advisor Handbook.
215, maclean campus center,
285 old westport rd.
north dartmouth, ma, 02747