icon of a paper next to Apply online text
open door next to gray writing "Visit"
Small icon next to white bg says "Give"

Frequently Asked Questions about Orientation

What is Orientation?
What should I bring?
Will I register for classes during orientation?
Should I bring my health papers?
What about family orientation?
How do you accommodate students with disabilities?
What is the alcohol and drug policy?
Do you accommodate special dietary needs?
When do students take placement tests?
What will orientation cost?
How can I finance my college education?
What should I do if I am a veteran?

What is Orientation?

Orientation is designed to ease you through the many "firsts" of going to college. Through workshops, presentations, and small group discussions, we hope to make the beginning of your college career an exciting and successful experience. You will know:

  • more about UMass Dartmouth
  • how to use the resources available to you
  • and many of your new classmates

What should I bring?

Bring your questions, your sense of humor, and the following:

  • comfortable clothes & shoes
  • driver's license, passport, or state ID, in order to get your student ID
  • alarm app for your phone or an alarm clock
  • sleeping bag (or sheets & blankets) & pillow
  • toothbrush & toothpaste, soap & shampoo, towel & hair dryer
  • umbrella
  • notebook & pen/pencil
  • suggested list of medical items to bring when you visit or move to campus

Note: Be sure you know your UMassD logon (user name and password) so you can access the myUMassD portal for your Zimbra email and the COIN student information system. Learn more: COIN video

Will I register for classes during Orientation?

The Academic Advising Center will block enroll you into several of your first semester courses. During Orientation, your advisor will discuss your course selection, degree requirements, and help you plan for academic success. Following academic advising, you will select two additional courses for your first semester.

Should I bring my health papers?

UMass Dartmouth requires that all students complete a health questionnaire and immunization form. You should mail the completed health form within 30 days following your acceptance to the UMass Dartmouth Health Office. All forms for the 2014-2015 academic year should be submitted by June 1. Mail the completed forms to:

University of Massachusetts Dartmouth
Health Services
285 Old Westport Road
Dartmouth, MA 02747

What about Family Orientation?

We've sent an invitation to your home about family orientation.

How do you accommodate students with disabilities?

Students requiring special accommodations during Orientation may contact the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: 508.999.8008. Please provide as much advance notice as possible to allow for coordination of requested accommodations. 

The Center for Access and Success provides special accommodations for students with disabilities to assist in their academic success. The services include note-takers, a reduced-distraction test-taking site, access to alternative textbook formats and more. Contact the Office for more information: 508.999.871.

What is the alcohol and drug policy?

In compliance with the Massachusetts legal drinking age and the UMass Dartmouth alcohol and drug policy, alcoholic beverages are not allowed at New Student Orientation. Violators of the alcohol and drug policy will be dismissed from Orientation and could face University disciplinary action, which may result in dismissal from the University.

Do you accommodate special dietary needs?

Please make us aware of any special dietary needs or allergies. Contact the Orientation Hotline so we may make the necessary arrangements prior to your arrival: 508.910.6497 or orientation@umassd.edu.

When do students take placement tests?

You are required by state law to take placement tests prior to June Orientation. This will not impact your admission to UMass Dartmouth, but it enables advisors to select appropriate math courses and levels for your major.

Register for placement testing at www.placement.umass.edu

You may log onto this site anytime after March 15. Your enrollment deposit must have been received by the university in order to register for testing. If you encounter difficulties with registration, please contact the Academic Advising Center at 508.999.8455.

What will orientation cost?

A standard orientation fee will be on your tuition bill. This is a one-time, non-waivable fee. Orientation is mandatory, but even if you are unable to attend because of emergencies or unavoidable conflicts, the fee will remain on your bill.

How can I finance my education?

Financial aid in the form of student employment, grants, scholarships, and loans may be available. More information: 508.999.8632.

What should I do if I am a veteran?

A Veteran's Affairs official is on staff in the Registrar's Office to handle veteran's benefits and explain policies and procedures related to the GI Bills. Contact: 508.999.8615. More information: Veterans Services.

Other questions?