- This Boston Globe story on New Bedford's future includes comments by Urban Initiative Project Manager Colleen Dawicki
- Our June newsletter can be viewed here.
- The MA Executive Office of Housing and Economic Development published "Innovating for Growth: A Gateway Cities Symposium," a report by the Urban Initiative documenting a symposium hosted by that agency and the Innovation Institute at the MassTech Collaborative in October 2013
- Colleen Dawicki provides perspective on the issue of vacant strip malls in this Standard-Times story.
- Here's our May newsletter.
- The Urban Initiative released the Bristol County Veterans Needs Assessment, a report that analyzes characteristics and needs of Veterans in the region that was conducted in partnership with the Veteran's Transition House.
- Our April newsletter can be accessed here.
- Our March newsletter is available at this link.
- The Standard-Times wrote about the event the Urban Initiative hosted on 3/28 in partnership with MassINC on the Gateway Cities Education Vision.
- Another Standard-Times article features a new collaboration with Friends Academy's Center for Education Innovation to evaluate their programs in New Bedford Public Schools.
- Read about our latest projects, blog posts, events and opportunities happening in Fall River, New Bedford, and beyond in our February newsletter.
- Read our January newsletter here.
- This Standard-Times article on opioid addiction cites data from our SouthCoast Urban Indicators Project.
- Here's our last monthly newsletter of 2013.
- Our high school interns published their report on college access in the SouthCoast, developed through rigorous research conducted over the summer.
- This Standard-Times article features our interns' college access research.
- The Standard-Times highlights our civic infrastructure research in an article about collaborative leadership and the work being done by the Boston Fed and Living Cities to promote it.
- Listen to Project Manager Colleen Dawicki's interview with K-LOVE radio, a 20-minute discussion that covers the Urban Initiative's mission, current projects, and ways for students to get involved in our work.
- Here's our November newsletter.
- Undergraduate research assistant Mike McCarthy pens an op-ed on MCAS scores in Gateway Cities for Fall River's Herald News.
- Graduate research assistant Katya Starostina's analysis of school financing in New Bedford is published in the Standard-Times.
- The Worcester Telegram and Gazette highlighted our civic infrastructure research in an article that profiled that city's high rankings in the areas of individual charitable giving, foundation grant-making, and newspaper readership.
- Read our October newsletter.
- Read our September newsletter.
- Listen to Colleen Dawicki discuss civic infrastructure with the Standard Times editorial board.
- Follow our project progress with our monthly update.
- Here's the link to our monthly newsletter.
- Read "Civic Infrastructure in Gateway Cities," an article written by Colleen Dawicki and published in the latest issue of MassBenchmarks.
- The New Bedford Standard Times championed our research on civic infrastructure in a 8/25 editorial.
- The August project update is available on the blog.
- Read our July newsletter with this link.
- What are we working on? Read our July project update on the blog.
- Read our April newsletter here.
- This month, we began posting a monthly project update on the blog. Read April's here.
- Read our March newsletter here.
- Project Manager Colleen Dawicki served as a panelist at a MassINC- and Transportation 4 Massachusetts-sponsored event on regional public transit. Read the Herald News story here.
- We announced a photo contest to promote and generate content for the SouthCoast Urban Indicators Project. Read the SouthCoast Business Bulletin article here.
- The Urban Initiative and the UMass Dartmouth Department of Public Policy present 'Sustainable Cities,' a series featuring the research of our graduate assistants. Click here to learn more.
- Our February newsletter is now available.
- We kicked off our 'Sustainable Cities' graduate student speaker series, presented in partnership with the Department of Public Policy. Learn about the series here.
- Here is our first newsletter of 2013.
- Our newest endeavor, SouthCoast Urban Indicators, is featured in this Herald News article.
- Boston think tank MassINC features SouthCoast Urban Indicators in this blog post.
- We published our first anniversary newsletter, available here.
- Our SouthCoast Urban Indicators Project has officially launched! Visit this web-based effort at www.southcoastindicators.org.
- Read our November newsletter.
- October newsletter is available at this link.
- Project Manager Colleen Dawicki is named a Gateway Cities Innovation Institute Fellow by MassINC. Read more about this distinction in the Herald News and the Standard Times.
- Dawicki is quoted in a Boston Globe story about New Bedford's revitalization.
- The Urban Initiative released the first report of our multi-year evaluation of the Taunton (MA) Housing Authority's HOPE VI project. Read the baseline report documenting pre-redevelopment conditions on our Research and Reports page.
- Read our September newsletter.
- Here's our August newsletter.
- Meet the Urban Initiative's two high school interns, Adam Vieira and Emma York!
- View our July newsletter here.
- The Urban Initiative added two new members to our team! Meet graduate research assistant Bob Golder and undergraduate Urban Policy Intern Evan Desrochers.
- Click here to read June's newsletter.
- Project Manager Colleen Dawicki was named a National Dropout Prevention Center (NDPC) Fellow, and will use her role to support the NDPC's mission of boosting graduation rates in the South Coast and across the nation.
- Check out the Urban Initiative's newsletter for the month of May.
- Read our April newsletter here.
- The New Bedford Area Chamber of Commerce released a report conducted by the Urban Initiative on regional permitting processes and best practices. Read the report in its entirety by visiting our Research & Reports page.
- This effort got some great coverage in the local media: the Standard Times featured our work in an article and an editorial, and the New England Business Bulletin provided coverage as well.
- An archived version of our March newsletter is available available here.
- Click here to learn about what we're working on in this month's newsletter.
- The Urban Initiative joined Twitter! Follow us @UrbanUMassD.
- Read about this and more in our January newsletter.
- On January 26, we joined the MA Bar Association in a conversation about the role of attorneys in supporting the needs of Gateway Cities.
- The Urban Initiative launched its monthly e-newsletter! Read this month's edition by clicking here, and be sure to subscribe so you don't miss an issue.
- We've changed our blog address to a more user-friendly format that offers more features and better functionality. Here's the new link: http://urbaninitiative.wordpress.com.
- The Urban Initiative is blogging! Check out Urban Update, our new blog featuring news, events, and annoucements related to urban policy, with an emphasis on topics that affect nearby cities like New Bedford and Fall River.
- Read about the Urban Initiative's recent work addressing public transportation in New Bedford in this article.