Psychology: Applied Behavior Analysis
Offered: On campus
Earn your master’s degree from UMassD
Earn your Master of Arts in Psychology with an Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) focus in just 7 semesters. The UMass Dartmouth ABA program prepares graduates to fill a critical need for Board Certified Behavior Analysts (BCBA).
Fall, Year 1
- PSY509—Principles of ABA
- PSY504—Topics in Child Development
Spring, Year 1
- PSY526—Research and Design in ABA
- PSY519—Child Psychopathology
Fall, Year 2
- PSY531—Behavioral Assessment
- PSY502—Statistical Methods Psychology*
Spring, Year 2
- PSY532—Behavioral Interventions
- PSY525—Implementing Behavior Analysis in Educational Settings
Summer, Year 2
- PSY582—Fieldwork and Seminar I
Fall, Year 3
- PSY529—Ethics and Professionalism in ABA
- PSY583—Fieldwork and Seminar II
Spring, Year 3
- PSY527—Clinical Applications in ABA
- PSY584—Fieldwork and Seminar III
*This course has a prerequisite of undergraduate statistics in Psychology. The undergraduate statistics course will be available during the first year of the ABA program.
- This master’s program prepares students to meet the academic requirements necessary to sit for the Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA) examination. View BCBA pass rates.
- This part-time, 36-credit program is designed be completed in three years. Students can have some flexibility as long as they complete it on a timely basis. UMass Dartmouth also offers an Applied Behavior Analyst Graduate Certificate for professionals who have earned a master’s degree in education or psychology. This is a two year, 18-credit program that provides the academic requirements necessary to sit for the BCBA exam.
ABA Program Advantages
- Earn your MA in psychology and learn from faculty who have specific training in behavior analysis and psychology. This offers greater context for students, particularly those who may have majored in other fields.
- Receive comprehensive ABA training that complements the theoretical framework of psychology.
- As a state university UMass Dartmouth’s tuition and fees are more manageable.
- Conveniently located in the SouthCoast of Massachusetts, UMass Dartmouth is the only ABA program in this region and there is a strong, local demand for BCBAs.
- The UMassD program is structured so that individuals can do their internship hours as part of their job, provided they can be supervised by a licensed BCBA therapist.
- work with a variety of populations including autistic children and adults, developing children, adults with intellectual disabilities, and seniors with dementia
- practice in various settings including clinics, hospitals, residential treatment centers, public schools and community agencies
Learning Style: On campus
Blended – Many of the ABA courses combine online and face-to-face classes in each course.