The Philip H. Melanson Memorial Scholarship was established in 2006 to provide financial assistance to graduate students who are enrolled at UMass Dartmouth and maintain an active interest in public policy. The scholarship was established by friends, colleagues, and former students of Dr. Philip H. Melanson, who taught at UMass Dartmouth for thirty-four years and was widely regarded as one of the institution’s best and most popular teachers. He was a founding member of the Department of Public Policy at UMass Dartmouth and its first department chair. Dr. Melanson was internationally recognized for his extensive work on freedom of information policy, science policy, and the impact of political violence and assassination on democratic societies.
The purpose of the Philip H. Melanson Memorial Scholarship is to provide financial assistance to students enrolled in the Master of Public Policy (MPP) program at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth.
Who is Eligible?
Students must meet the following minimum criteria to be eligible for the scholarship:
- be currently enrolled in the Master of Public Policy (MPP) program,
- have completed at least four (4) courses in the MPP program prior to application,
- have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.2,
- demonstrate an active interest in extra-curricular activities that involve public policy, public service, or community service,
- submit the scholarship application form no later than November 1st in the year applying for the scholarship.
What is the Amount of the Scholarship?
Scholarships are generally between $500 and $1,000 depending on the funds available for distribution and number of awards made.
How can I Use the Scholarship?
The scholarship funds are deposited with the university and used to defray university tuition and fees.
Scholarships will be awarded on a combination of academic merit and public service. Awardees will be notified by the beginning of the Spring semester following application for the scholarship.
Students wishing to apply for this scholarship should fully completed the application form, available online beginning each September until November 1st, here: