Frequently Asked Questions:
- How do I fulfill the language requirement?
- I had 1/2/3/4 year(s) of French/Spanish/German/Italian in high school/ at another institution. How do I know which class to start with?
- Take the placement test: in the portal (my.umassd.edu), click on "Student Resources," then click on "New Students." Under the "New Students" section, click on the placement testing link.
- To determine appropriate placement in Arabic, contact the Foreign Literature and Languages Department Office at (508) 999-8332.
- To determine appropriate placement in Portuguese or Cape Verdean Creole, contact the Portuguese Department Office at (508) 910-6586.
- Do you have tutoring?
- What if I want to study abroad?
- Why don't you offer Portuguese?
- How do I declare a major or minor in French or Spanish?
- How do I declare a concentration in French or Spanish within the Liberal Arts Major?
- What kinds of jobs and careers possibilities are there for those studying a foreign language?
- How much studying will I have to do outside of class?
- A good rule of thumb is to plan on at least two hours of studying outside of class per hour of class.