Art, Design, Music, Arts Educators and Art History
UMass Dartmouth and College of Visual and Performing Arts
We will welcome arts grads from SMU, the Swain School, and UMass Dartmouth back to campus and the Star Store in Downtown New Bedford October 2 and 3. This is an opportunity to reconnect with classmates and faculty, celebrate the legacy of arts education at all the institutions that are now UMass Dartmouth, and catch up on the exciting things happening here now and our plans for the future.
All reunion activities will be scheduled on October 2nd with lots to explore in New Bedford and the South Coast on October 3rd should you choose to make a weekend of this event.
We Look Forward To Seeing You!
9:30am – 10:30am
- Deans’ Welcome
- Introduction to the Day
- Recognize Faculty: past and present
- Historical context for CVPA and previous groups
10:30am – 11:15am
Outside CVPA Campus Gallery, CVPA Building
- Coffee and exhibition by Norman Ives: Constructions & Reconstructions in the CVPA Campus Gallery with brief introductory remarks by Prof. Jan Fairbairn
11:15am – 12:00pm
Your choice of the following:
- CVPA, that is Group 6, self-guided tours with students and faculty from painting, drawing, illustration, graphic design, animation/game art, and sculpture on hand to answer questions and show their work
- Guided tour of the Claire T. Carney Library, a nationally recognized example of how successfully to repurpose mid-century concrete architecture for contemporary uses with Prof. Anna Dempsey
- Discussion about Nancy Holt’s Spinwinder sculpture at the entrance to campus (in situ!) with Prof. Rebecca Uchill, curator of the exhibition Nancy Holt: Massachusetts in Fall 2021
12:00pm – 1:30pm
Boxed Lunch outside CVPA under the tents
1:15pm – 1:45pm
Parking meters in Downtown New Bedford are free on Saturdays and some transportation to and from campus can also be provided.
2:00pm – 2:30pm
- CVPA and Star Store 2.0: Moving into the future
2:30pm – 4:00pm
A variety of activities throughout the Star Store building
- Ceramics students in their studios
- Print making demonstration
- Interior Architecture students to discuss their work at Tommy’s House in Falmouth
- Grad students in their studios with pop-up exhibition in Star Store Lecture Hall
- Alumna Kate Frazer Rego will talk about her site-specific installation, Skywoman Waits, in Spring Street windows
- The University Art Gallery presents ‘Light Years,’ photography exhibition by Amanda Means
- DATMA presents installation by Swiss artist Zimoun in the Swain Studio at the corner of Purchase and Union Sts.
Coffee will be available during this period.
- Creative dinner plans
- Packets with information about events/museums, galleries, etc for guests staying overnight.
A group rate discount is available at the Fairfield By Marriott New Bedford for the nights of October 1st and 2nd. Rate for Friday night is $109 + taxes and fees. Rate for Saturday night is $199 + taxes and fees. You will find both rates do not appear in the link but will be adjusted prior to your arrival.
Last day to book group rate is Friday, September 24, 2021.
Visit their site to book online or call 774-634-2000 for reservations. Mention the Group Name: UMass Dartmouth Alumni Oct 2021
**UMass Dartmouth has a mandatory indoor mask wearing policy to which we all will need to adhere. UMass Dartmouth students, faculty, and staff are required to be vaccinated, and visitors to campus are strongly encouraged also to be vaccinated.