CVPA response to COVID-19
CVPA studio and lab policies and information for Fall 2020.
Safety Protocol in CVPA Studios Pertaining to Covid-19
- A face mask is required all times in the CVPA and Star Store building. If face mask cannot be worn, a face shield must be used.
- Maintain 6 feet for social distancing at all times.
- Open windows and doors where possible to maximize air flow.
- All common gathering areas (lounges, kitchens) are closed. Please refrain from using communal fridge, microwave ovens and other cooking equipment.
- No eating or drinking permitted in studio.
- Each student must wipe down their work area at the beginning and at the end of the class.
- When using shared work benches, tools and equipment each student must clean/disinfect them before and after use.
- Trash to be tied and placed outside of the door at the end of each day.
- If any group or partner work is required, the same groups or partners must be maintained throughout the semester.
- Under no circumstances, do not exceed the maximum capacity of the rooms posted.
- Check sheet for final wipe down at the end of each day, confirming everything has been disinfected including but not limited to high touch surfaces, door handles, light fixtures, tables, counters, keyboards, etc., to be maintained for 3 weeks for tracing purposes.
Cleaning products for the studio use will be supplied. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for restocking information.
Classes will be held per room, day and time as per COIN. All must wear masks. Food and drink strictly prohibited in labs, hallways and atriums.
Keyboards and mice will not be available for students. Students must bring in keyboards and mice the university provides. Students must return the keyboards and mice at end of the day so they can be sanitized.
When classes are in session, only students on roster will be allowed in the classroom. When class is in session no B&W printing in Room 258.
(Vivian) Joy Miller, Technician I
Main Campus hours: 9am – 4pm on M, T, & TH
Any class that is held after 4pm: room will close after class lets out
Closed Fridays and weekends.
Rooms 261 and 263 have PCs
Rooms 254, 256 and 258 are Mac Labs.
Print services by appointment only, 24 hours in advance of your deadline. Masks must be worn at all times. Files must be on a thumb drive and at minimum 350dpi. Payment is via UMass Pass card only.
Paper types and sizes available:
• Color laserjet: letter and tabloid
• Wide format: 24" luster print
• Wide format: 44" matte print
• Matte, Luster and Glossy inkjet prints: letter and tabloid
(Vivian) Joy Miller, Technician I
Main Campus hours: 9am – noon and 1-4pm M, T, & TH by appt. only 24 hours in advance.
Closed noon – 1pm.
Closed Fridays and weekends
Printing Services & Supplies
Print services and specialty supply orders will be processed Monday-Thursday 8:00-11:00am. Please complete the request form at least 12 hours ahead of time. All purchases will be posted in the hallway outside room 230 the following day for contactless pickup.
Software Support & Troubleshooting
To schedule an appointment for a remote Zoom meeting, send an email to Paula Medeiros email@example.com, including a description of support needed, along with times available within 24 hour period of the request. Most requests will be accommodated same day.
Paula Erenberg Medeiros, Technician I
Schedule: Star Store meetings are currently by appointment only.
- Students outside of class will require an appointment.
- Follows the university-wide guideline on social distancing and mask, etc.
- Fundamentally no in-person access to the equipment.
- Files should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Discussion of processes should take place over email.
- No contact pick-up for prints.
- Files and print specifications should be communicated via email.
- No contact material drop-off and pick-up (we do not supply materials).
- Files and specs discussion over email
ShopBot (CNC router)
- By appointment only.
- Preliminary discussion on projects and specs should be communicated via email.
- Maximum 2 people only.
- Please reserve by email.
- Shop occupancy is limited to 2 people max, depending on the activity.
- Please reserve by email.
The VML Hub is a collaborative place for both students and faculty. We provide creditable high-quality images and multimedia resources in support of the arts and humanities curriculum and learning. We assist faculty with their instructional and research endeavors and foster visual and media literacy skills across disciplines through student instruction and services.
Our staff assists with research, acquisition and citation of visual and media resources, manages the CVPA photographic, video and audio equipment bureau, and provides help with course-related software applications and technical/technological assignments and projects. VML Hub is located in CVPA (main campus) Room 257.
Mon. – Thurs. 8:30-4:00
All equipment and instruction assistance require an appointment which is available online at the VML Hub website home page.
Allison J. Cywin
For more information visit the VML Hub website.
VML Hub Equipment Bureau Return Policy for the Fall Semester 2020
While we realize and encourage CVPA students and faculty to continue using the VML Equipment Bureau for their course assignments and creative work, the following policies are in effect:
- Equipment pickups and returns are by appointment and may be scheduled through the VML Hub website.
- Operations: Monday – Thursday 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Renewals may be conducted in person, email, or phone.
- VML Hub reserves the right to have an electronic meeting to view the equipment at any time.
Equipment Return Policies
Thanksgiving Break and Campus Closure: Tuesday, November 24, 2020
- Equipment no longer needed please return equipment by Tuesday, November 24, before Thanksgiving break and the closure of the UMassD campus. Otherwise, you are expected to return the equipment by December 9, 2020, Study Day, no matter how far away you may live from campus.
- Equipment not returned before November 24, 2020, will be subject to a temporary account hold (no exceptions) which will remain in place until the equipment is returned to the VML Hub by December 9, 2020.
Final Returns: December 9, 2020 (Study Day)
- All equipment must be returned to the VML Hub prior to or by December 9, 2020 (No exceptions and no matter how far you live from campus.). Please plan accordingly.
- Equipment not returned by December 9, 2020, at 4:00 p.m. will be considered lost or stolen. The Dean’s Office will be notified and you will be billed accordingly. In some cases, a report may be issued with the authorities as well.
- Special Extension Consideration - CVPA graduate students and graduating seniors with thesis requirements may ask for an extension. However, all extensions must be approved by the supervising faculty and a written request must be issued to the VML Hub for final consideration. Students are responsible for lost or stolen equipment while in their possession and must abide by CVPA Equipment Bureau policies and procedures.
Equipment Return Due December 16, 2020
- All equipment must be returned to the VML Hub no later than December 16, 2020, the last day of exams 2020 (No exceptions no matter how far you live from campus). Please plan accordingly.
- Equipment not returned by the last day of exams will be considered lost. As required, names and equipment involved will be forwarded to the Department Chairs and the Dean’s office.
- Faculty are responsible for lost or stolen equipment while in their possession and must abide by CVPA Equipment Bureau policies and procedures.
Free Software & 30 Day Trials
- Sketchup 30 day free trial
- Enscape free plug-in for sketchup, AutoCad and more
- Substance Painter and Substance Designer free for students
- ZBrush for students 30 day free trial
- All Autodesk products (Maya, Mudbox, Sketchbook Pro, AutoCad and more) are free (annual renewal for students)
- Free Unity for students