Skip to main content.

Eligibility for Services

By law, students with a disability do not have to self-disclose or register with the Center for Access and Success. If, on the other hand, a student is seeking academic accommodations or adjustments, he/she must contact our office to request services.

CAS determines reasonable and appropriate accommodations according to the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended in 2008. CAS will review information from the following three sources.

  1. Documentation must be current, provide a clear diagnosis and impact on the student’s education and be written by an appropriate medical/psychological professional.
  2. Observation of an apparent disability or effect. CAS will apply common sense in determining evidence of a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activity.
  3. Self-report by the student of information which will provide insight for CAS in determining reasonable accommodations.

After CAS reviews the student’s documentation, completes observation, and listens to the student’s self-report, CAS and the student will have an interactive process to discuss reasonable an appropriate accommodations.

Each member’s accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis.

Students must complete accommodation request forms each semester for the specific courses for which they are requesting accommodations. Accommodations can not be made retroactively.

Documentation Guidelines



Visit us virtually

Visit us from anywhere, at any time.
Take a virtual tour of the UMass Dartmouth campus.