How exactly do you tackle a difficult read? This video will explore the concept of "superficial reading" and how it will aid you in your comprehension of hard material.
Try these hints:
- Reread the material and put each sentence into your own words after reading it.
- Change your surroundings, move around, and become physically active.
- Try to visualize and feel the concept or information.
- Build and understood the paragraph by reading one sentence at a time.
- Build and understand the reading assignment by fully comprehending one paragraph before moving on to the next.
- Form a study group.
- Read the material aloud and in front of a mirror if possible.
- Decrease your reading rate.
- Summarize at the end of each paragraph by writing or reciting.
- Discuss the material with a family member or friend.
- Put the book down for awhile and return to it in 30 minutes.
- Ask the teacher for help or get a tutor.
- Pretend that you understand the material and try to teach it to someone else.