Work Related Injuries

Work Related Injuries

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts Department of Industrial Accidents (DIA) is responsible for overseeing the Worker’s Compensation system in Massachusetts. 

The role of the University’s Human Resources Office is to facilitate the claim process between university employees and the Commonwealth’s Department of Industrial Accidents.

For additional information please contact Elizabeth Sherry-Cozzone in the Office of Human Resources at 508-999-8060. Health Services can be reached at x8982.

NOTE:  It is the responsibility of the injured employee and/or the employee's supervisor to contact the Office of Human Resources (X8060) if the injured employee's absence from work will exceed 5 working days.  Any variance from the above protocol may affect the injured employee's eligibility for receiving Worker's Compensation benefits (if it applies).

Also, any employee returning to work after being on Worker's Compensation MUST submit an original physician's note to the Office of Human Resources PRIOR to returning to work. Please contact the Office of Human Resources at (508) 999-8060 for further information pertaining on the job injuries.

Frequently Asked Questions

I've been injured at work. What should I do?

Notify your Supervisor immediately about the injury.

Report to the Health Services Department's Modular Unit, located in front of Roberts, near Pine Dale and Roberts (right on the traffic circle).  The trained staff will assess your injury and obtain pertinent information so that your claim can be forwarded to the Office of Human Resources for processing.

If more than 24 hours have passed since your injury, or you sought immediate medical attention off-campus, print and complete the Workers Compensation Notice of Injury (NOI) Package and return to the Office of Human Resources, located in room 202 in the Foster Administration Building, so that your claim can be properly processed. The Office of Human Resources is staffed from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.

My injury requires emergency care and/or transportation to the hospital, what should I do?

Do not give your insurance card to the hospital, physician, or Emergency Response personnel. Inform them that you were injured on the job. After you are released from care, bring all original documentation regarding your injury to the Office of Human Resources so that your claim can be properly processed. Also, remember to report your injury to your immediate supervisor as soon as possible.

If you do provide your insurance card, you risk the chance of being billed directly for the medical services, which in turn can affect your credit status if those medical bills are not paid by worker’s compensation in a timely fashion.

I was prescribed medication and the Pharmacy required a copayment from me. Can I be reimbursed?

Bring all original receipts pertaining to your injury to the Office of Human Resources for processing.

I am receiving bills from the physician’s office for an injury I received on the job. What should I do?

First, be sure that you have reported your injury as instructed above.  Next, bring all original documentation (physician’s reports, invoices, etc.) to Office of Human Resources for proper processing.

My physician has recommended that I remain out of work for an extended period of time (more than five days). What do I need to do?

Bring all original documentation from your physician to Office of Human Resources immediately so that your claim can be properly processed.  You will receive further instructions at that time.  Be sure to notify your immediate supervisor of your medical status.

When can I return to work?

Once you have received written approval from your physician, bring the original approval to the Office of Human Resources prior to returning to work.