University of Massachusetts Police Department
Command Staff and Line Officer Openings
The UMass Dartmouth Police Department is a full service, MPAC Accredited Law Enforcement Agency that provides a wide array of Police and Public Safety services to the University community, which consists of a 710-acre main campus and five satellite campuses located in the cities of New Bedford and Fall River. Officers are trained by the Massachusetts Police Training Council and are fully sworn officers with full arrest powers.
Located 15 minutes from the beach, 30 minutes from Cape Cod and Providence, and 45 minutes from Boston on the Southcoast of MA, the UMass Dartmouth Police Department is a fully-sworn, accredited law enforcement department with 26 sworn and 12 highly trained staff who are committed to serving and protecting a diverse campus community of over 9,000 members.
Over the last year, eight new officers have joined the Department and we are in the process of recruiting a Deputy Chief of Police, three additional Police Officers and offering two promotional opportunities. The department is in a critical period of culture change and invites a transformational leader to join the command staff and three line officers in revolutionizing community policing on our campus. Our police department is committed to creating an environment that is civil and respectful that supports student learning and development and sense of safety and belonging for all members of our community.
The campus will open a new 1,200 bed residential facility for new undergraduate students and a 800 seat dining facility in Fall 2020. Additionally, the University’s strategic plan, “Future Ready”, is being finalized and will roll out in Spring 2021. This strategic plan will be aligned with our campus master plan and we anticipate the purchase or development of a new Police Department headquarters among other projects and priorities. It is an exciting time to join the UMassD community and be part of imagining and realizing the future of the gem of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
UMass Dartmouth distinguishes itself as a vibrant, public research university dedicated to engaged learning and innovative research resulting in personal and lifelong student success.
Looking for a career change? Consider the advantages of working on a college campus.
- University Police members work to ensure the safety of diverse individuals who are part of UMass Dartmouth’s dynamic living, learning, cultural, community and sporting campus environments.
- University Police Focus is on Community Policing.
- University police can develop relationships with students, give presentations, and initiate crime prevention campaigns to help reduce the rate of crime.
- Crime Prevention Focus - University police have the opportunity to spread awareness of common legal issues and prevent crime before it occurs.
- Opportunities to attend University community events, activities and participate in professional development programs.
- Take advantage of the generous tuition benefit to take classes or to earn a degree.