This summer, incoming first-year students will participate in This We Believe/UMassD 2017.
This program is based on Thisibelieve.org, an international organization engaging people in writing and sharing essays describing the core values that guide their daily lives: "a public dialogue about belief – one essay at a time."
So, whether you come to UMassD from Boston, Massachusetts or Mumbai, India, this summer we'll ask you to:
- Consider how other people describe their core values, about anything and everything.
- Then, craft and share your own core values: what you believe.
Watch & read:
- View the What do you believe? video about the program.
- Read some of the essays on This We Believe/UMassD 2017 and Thisibelieve.org.
- Compose your own essay (250-word length) that describes a meaningful experience and the values you gained from it.
- By August 15: post your essay on This We Believe/UMassD 2017 for your classmates to read and share. The site has directions for posting your essay.
- By September 6: post your comments on your classmates' essays by the first day of class.
- By July 31: Provost's Essay Contest - expand your required 250-word essay into a 500-word essay and submit by the deadline. Learn more about contest tips, rules, deadlines and prizes