Health Insurance for J-1 Scholars

New U.S. Department of State insurance requirements for J-1 exchange visitors took effect May 15, 2015.  This table shows the newly-approved requirements.  All J-1 visa holders and their dependents (J-2 visa holders) must have health insurance that meets the U.S. Department of State minimum requirements.  See this helpful J-1 Health Insurance Requirements.  Highlights of these requirements, under the Code of Federal Regulations (22 CFR 62.14) are:


New Requirements (effective 05/15/2015)  

Medical benefits


Repatriation of remains*


Medical evacuation*


Deductible per accident or illness

$500 maximum

*The University of Massachusetts campuses offer J-1 scholars and their J-2 dependents free-of-charge coverage of Medical Evacuation and Repatriation that meets the U.S. Department of State requirements.  This coverage will be reviewed with you when you arrive on campus and check in at the International Student & Scholar Center (ISSC).

Under the new requirements, we are also asked to inform J-1 exchange visitors that they and any accompanying family may be subject to the requirements of the Affordable Care Act [22 CFR 62.14(a)].  More information will be provided on this part of the new requirements.

All J-1 visa holders must complete the J-1 Health Insurance Compliance Form‌, sign it, and return it to the ISSC.

Currently new health coverage information for scholars is being developed.  More details will follow.  In the meantime, please visit the links to the right for information on other available plans.


J Visa Category

Must Meet Department        Of State Requirements

Must Meet Massachusetts Requirements for Student Health Insurance

Health Insurance

J-1 Scholars, Researchers, and Interns



Medical Evacuation and Repatriation under AIG*

J-2 dependents

Must fulfill the same requirements of the family member holding a J-1 visa.



The links to the right offer some health insurance choices while we are developing our University of Massachusetts options.  UMass Dartmouth is not responsible for these plans.  Most of these plans do NOT cover prior health problems (pre-existing conditions).  Most of them are for travel/ accident insurance and offer minimal coverage and sometimes large deductibles.


  • Your health insurance coverage must meet U.S. State Department requirements for the J visa and must be in effect before you leave your home country.
  • If your insurance policy is based in your home country, some U.S. medical providers may require you to make full payment for services rendered and then later seek reimbursement from your insurance.  In this case you will be responsible for filing the paperwork directly with your insurer.


Updated 05/01/2017