U.S. driver's license, UMass Pass, and other forms of identification (ID)

Forms of identification for use on campus and in the U.S.

UMass Pass

UMass Pass is the official UMass Dartmouth identification card—the one card you'll need to carry on campus.

A special note for J-1 scholars

  • Human Resources ID request form
    • Complete this form to be entered into the University information system; you will still need to visit various offices on campus to apply for a UMass Pass, a parking permit; or to follow steps online to be assigned email and a COIN account, and so on.


  • A valid passport, which shows your full name and date of birth, is always accepted as a form of identification anywhere in the U.S.

U.S. driver's license

Registry of Motor Vehicle (RMV) --New Bedford Branch

Address: 278 Union Street, New Bedford, MA


Monday - 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Tuesday - 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday - 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Thursday - 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Friday - 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

State ID Card

  • For people who do not have a Massachusetts driver's license, the RMV can issue a Massachusetts ID.  This looks like a driver's license; however, it does not extend any driving privileges.
  • This ID card is an official form of identity accepted in Massachusetts and shows your signature and age.

International Permits and Licenses

  • Frequently-asked questions (FAQs) about international driving permits, international driver's license and driving privileges for foreign licensed drivers.  See Question #2.









Updated 06/30/2016