Members of UMassD's Big Data Club recently participated in the 2019 DataFest competition organized by American Statistical Association. "This is the second consecutive year our students have placed first in the category," said Bharatendra K. Rai, chairperson for the Department of Decision and Information Sciences and faculty advisor for the Big Data Club.
The annual three-day competition involves more than 60 participants from four different academic institutions."As an organizing member, I know how much efforts go into preparing for this competition, which exposes students to practical experience beyond the classroom," said Rai. "The platform also gives students an opportunity to not only showcase their skills in a competitive environment but also network with other students, faculty and potential employers. And it is all the more rewarding and satisfying when our students do well and emerge as winners."
Charlton College of Business participants
- Uday Kant Jha (faculty advisor)
- Bharatendra Rai (organizing member & faculty advisor)
- Nancy Atkins (MIS major)
- Nhu Ho (Operations Management major)
- Linda Nguyen (team leader & Operations Management major)
- Sarah Riecke (mentor, founder of the Big Data Club, & MBA-Business Analytics major)