Check back throughout the year for updates about outside scholarships for law students.
NOTE: Outside scholarships are counted as financial resources when calculating eligibility for funds based on your cost of attendance budget. Your cost of attendance budget, determined by enrollment and residency, is listed under the Financial Aid tab in COIN in myUMassD.
Thomas M. McGovern Educational Endowment Trust Fund Scholarships
Applications for the Thoman M. McGovern Educational Endowment Trust Fund Scholarships are now available to graduates of educational institutions located in Bristol County.
Preference will be given to the following high schools:
- Joseph Case High School, Swansea, Massachusetts
- Parochial High Schools of Bristol County
- Somerset-Berkley Regional High School, Somerset, Massachusetts, and
- Fall River High Schools, Fall River, Massachusetts
- In addition, applicants that were members of the youth division of the Fall River YMCA for three years
Completed applications must be submitted by April 19, 2018 to:
Sabra & Aspden, P.A.
1026 County St.
Somerset, MA 02726
Attn: Matthew M. Aspden
Lemberg Law "Land of Opportunity" Scholarship
Lemberg Law is offering a scholarship to a law student who is an immigrant, who understands that America is the land of opportunity, and who is inspired to reflect on their knowledge of consumer law.
- $1,250 award
- Essay Submission
Completed applications are due by 11:59pm on April 30, 2018.
Christopher Simon Attorney at Law Scholarship
This scholarship will award $1,000 to an entering first-year or currently enrolled law student for the Fall 2018 academic semester.
- Incoming L1 or currently enrolled law student
- 3.0 GPA or higher overall
- Must be a legal resident of the U.S.
Completed applications are due by April 30, 2018.
MA Association of Women Lawyers Scholarship Foundation
The Massachusetts Association of Woman Lawyers' Scholarship Foundation is offering two scholarships honoring the Honorable Sheila B. McGovern and Carol DiMaiti. One application is sufficient for both awards.
- be entering their second or third year of law school
- demonstrate financial need and academic ability
- submit a personal statement
Applications must be mailed no later than May 7, 2018 to:
M.A.W.L., c/o Barbara M. Senecal
45 School St., 3rd floor
Boston, MA 02108
AccessLex MAX Scholarship
If you are a 1L, AccessLex has the 40,000 MAX Scholarship.
MAX automatically enters you into scholarship drawings for:
- Creating your MAX online account and completing your personal assessment
- Attending in-person workshops and online webinars
- Completing your monthly content modules
Two $40,000 scholarship drawings will occur in May. You will earn cumulative entries to this drawing by completing MAX activities during the 2017-2018 academic year. Up to $40,000 will be paid to your institution toward the following year’s tuition.
The deadline is May 15, 2018.
Colonel Archer B. Battista Veterans Scholarship
Applications for the Colonel Archer B. Battista Veterans Scholarship are now available to any Veteran entering or already attending law school in New England for the 2018-2019 academic year. The scholarship award will not be less than $1,000.
Applicant must be:
- admitted for the upcoming academic year (2018-2019) to an accredited law school
- a veteran with an Honorable Discharge or a current member of the United States military
The scholarship is based on merit and financial need.
Completed applications are due by May 15, 2018.
John F. Moriarty Scholarship
Applications for the John F. Moriarty Scholarship are now available to any Hampden County resident who has been admitted to or is attending a certified law school for the 2018-2019 academic year. The scholarship award will not be less than $1,000.
The applicant must:
- be admitted for the upcoming academic year (2018-2019) to a certified law school for either full-time or part-time attendance
- currently reside in Hampden County, Massachusetts and must have been a resident for no less than five years.
Applicants will be considered based on academic and extracurricular accomplishments to date and on financial need.
Completed applications must be submitted by May 25, 2018.
Annual Asian Heritage Law School Scholarship
Gabriel Cheong with Infinity Law Group LLC is offering an annual scholarship for law school students of Asian heritage to encourage more Asian Americans to choose a degree that will help them give back to the Asian community.
- $1,000 award
- Essay submission
Completed applications must be submitted by August 1, 2018.
DDR Lawyers Legal Scholarship
The DDR Lawyers Legal Scholarship by Dolan Dobrinsky Rosenblum, LLP is a recurring scholarship worth $1,500 designed to help one law student with their tuition costs. We welcome all eligible students to apply and look forward to reviewing your application.
- Admitted to an accredited law school in the U.S.
- 3.5 or higher GPA
- Completed Application - Incomplete or late applications will not be considered
- A 500-600 word original essay on what you hope to achieve in your legal career if awarded this scholarship
- School Transcript
Completed applications must be submitted by December 31, 2018.
A winner will be announced on or before January 31, 2019.
Other funding sources
Potential opportunities for additional financial support:
- bar associations
- organizations to which you or family members belong