Students with the following Expected Graduation Term in COIN will be eligible to apply for graduation based on the following:
Expected Graduation Term
Degree Conferral Date
How to apply
Step 1: Verify your expected graduation term in COIN
Log into your COIN Student Center > My Advising Center > Academic Summary to confirm your Expected Graduation semester is correct. If incorrect, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, student ID, and expected graduation term so that we can update it accordingly in COIN.
Step 2: Review your academic requirements
Review your current Advisement Report and transcript in COIN, or request a degree audit in the LEC to ensure that you are on target to meet all program requirements. In addition to program requirements you must satisfy the Law School graduation requirements.
Step 3: Apply for graduation in COIN
Log into your COIN Student Center using MOBILE VIEW:
- Select Apply for Graduation, then select UMDAR Graduation Survey.
- Upon completion of the UMDAR Graduation Survey, select Apply for Graduation.
- If the expected graduation term is incorrect, select correct term from the dropdown. If unable to select the correct term, please email LEC@umassd.edu for assistance.
- If expected graduation term is correct, select Continue.
- Select Submit Application.
- Return to My Academics > Graduation >View My Graduation Status. Review all information for accuracy. Diploma/Certificate Name and Diploma/Certificate Address can be added or edited as necessary.
If you experience any issues with applying, please email your name and student ID to email@example.com so that we can troubleshoot.
After you apply
You may view your appliation status at My Academics > Graduation > View My Graduation Status. Your status will change as your application is processed:
|Graduation Application Status||Description|
|Applied for Graduation||Application has been received but not reviewed.|
|Eligible for Graduation||Application for Fall, Spring, or Summer term has not been submitted. You must submit an application.|
|Needs to Finish Pending Work||Additional information required by student and/or department to determine eligibility for graduation.|
|Application in Review by Department||Identified as a prospective graduate based on the number of potential earned credits and GPA. Note: Status remains in review until degree has been certified by law school.|
|Contact Your Department (LEC)||Application has been denied based on the number of earned credits, GPA, and/or other missing requirements. Contact the Law Enrollment Center for Assistance.|
|Degree Awarded||Department has certified that all requirements have been met and degree has been recorded on transcript.|
The Registrar’s Office forwards applicant names to the appropriate academic department for careful review and certification that all requirements have been met.
Once all final grades have been posted, the law school will send your degree certification to the Registrar’s Office. The Registrar’s Office will post the degree on your transcript.
Diplomas are ordered after your degree is awarded and posted on your transcript. Please allow 6-8 weeks for processing and delivery. Diplomas are not handed out at Commencement.
Important Note: Diplomas will not be released if your degree has not been certified and posted to your transcript. You should check your transcript through COIN to verify your degree has been awarded. In addition, all financial holds must be resolved before a diploma and/or official transcript can be released by the University.
If you will not complete your degree requirements by the spring semester but wish to participate in the May Commencement Ceremony, you must meet the following conditions:
Juris Doctor Degree: A maximum of 9 credits to be completed by August 31, 2021
Submit a Permission to Participate in Commencement form by April 16, 2021. Forms should be sent to:
Law Enrollment Center
Administrative Office, first floor
333 Faunce Corner Road
Dartmouth, MA 02747
Other important university/degree requirements
- Confirm your contact information (address, degree name, personal email, etc.) is up to date in COIN.
- Clear all financial obligations to the university, including but not limited to: full payment of your entire university bill, emergency loans, parking violations, borrowed library books, electronic equipment, and sports equipment. All borrowed university property must be returned to the appropriate place, and any late fees must be paid. Check your COIN account regularly for holds.
- Complete your Federal Direct Loan exit counseling requirements with UMass Law Financial Aid Services: Federal Unsubsidized and/or Graduate PLUS borrowers: Student Loans.gov
- Complete your career services post-graduation planning appointment and graduation placement survey.
- PILF recipients: Complete your exit interview, post-graduation includes a four-year public interest law employment commitment.