Greeley Memorial Laboratory, Yale University, New Haven, CT, 1957-1959
"The building is conceived as a pavilion with a single hovering roof supported on precast concrete columns. These "Y" shaped columns, which exploit some of the possibilities of form inherent in precast concrete, are placed in front of a glass and marble chip spandrel wall to gain a maximum amount of play of light and shadow, and to give a measured rhythm to the facade. The ceiling is exposed precast concrete panels designed to express the nature and direction of the roof stresses... These precast concrete panels are joined to the precast columns by means of a poured in place beam which is widest at the columns where the shear stresses are greatest and narrowest at the center of the bay. This pattern is repeated in grey and white marble chips above on the roof surface."
Paul Rudolph as quoted in: Brown, Elizabeth Mills. New Haven, a Guide to Architecture and Urban Design. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1976.