What is NCHA?
The National College Health Assessment (NCHA) is a national research survey organized by the American College Health Association to assist college health service providers, health educators, counselors, and administrators in collecting data about their students' habits, behaviors, and perceptions on prevalent health topics.
Questions on the NCHA survey cover the following topics:
- demographics/personal profile
- alcohol, tobacco, and other drug use
- sexual health
- weight, nutrition, and exercise
- mental health
- personal safety and violence
UMass Dartmouth participates in the NCHA every 2-3 years. The last survey was conducted in Spring 2018.
Is the survey confidential?
Your participation in the study is voluntary and confidential. The results of the survey will be reported in aggregate form only, and you will not be identified.
Why is it important that I fill out the survey?
The information collected from the surveys helps UMass Dartmouth learn more about student health and wellness and your expectations of, and reactions to, health-related programs and services. The results allow us to compare the experiences of UMass Dartmouth students with those of students at other universities. More importantly, they show us what we’re doing right and what we need to improve upon.
How long will it take to complete?
Most students complete the survey in 20-30 minutes.
We encourage students to complete the survey in one sitting, however, you may complete the survey in multiple sessions. This survey link is unique to you. You may begin the survey on one device and continue where you left off on another device. Use the buttons at the bottom of the survey to navigate through the survey. Do not use your browser's back button.
How long will the survey be open?
We encourage you to complete it as soon as you receive it.
Students who have not completed the survey will be sent periodic reminders inviting them to do so before the survey closes.
I checked my email and I didn’t receive a survey. What gives?
- Only full-time, undergraduate students between the ages of 18-25 will receive the survey.
- Check your UMass Dartmouth email inbox; surveys are not sent to personal email addresses (GMail, etc.)
- Search your UMass Dartmouth email for “ACHA-NCHA”.
- Do you have filters set up for your incoming email? If yes, check all places (inboxes, folders) the email may have been sorted. For example, in Outlook, some folks have a “Focused” inbox and an “Other” inbox. Check both.
- If, after checking all the above, you believe you should have received a survey and did not, email Beth-Anne Guthrie at email@example.com.
Can I win anything if I fill out the survey?
Students who complete the survey will automatically be entered to win one of several prizes.
You may also benefit by knowing that you have assisted in providing accurate information regarding health/wellness behaviors on our campus. The information will be used to develop wellness programs and services for UMass Dartmouth.
Did the survey receive IRB (Institutional Review Board) approval?
Where can I get more information?
Visit the NCHA website for more information about the surveys.
Questions regarding the survey should be directed to Beth-Anne Guthrie, Assistant Director Health Services, Health Education & Promotion, at firstname.lastname@example.org.