Welcome to UMassD!
This is a year like no other due to the COVID-19 pandemic. UMassD summer orientation has been adapted to adhere to social distancing guidelines. Summer orientation sessions will be conducted primarily through virtual sessions, rather than our typical overnight programs in June. If conditions allow, we also plan to offer a comprehensive orientation program between new student move-in day and the first day of fall semester classes based on guidance from the Center for Disease Control and Department of Public Health.
Student preparedness check-list
- Send official final high school transcript to Admissions
- Activate student email account
- Complete placement testing
- Complete online orientation
You will achieve your orientation in four steps:
1. Online orientation
After depositing with the university, you received an email with instructions on how to log into your myUMassD portal account and were instructed to complete online orientation. The program is an excellent introduction to the university and contains information vital to a successful start here. It can be completed on a smartphone, tablet, or computer, in multiple sittings or all at once.
2. Academic advising welcome
Your academic college will email you an invitation to a Zoom Webinar to welcome you to your college and review academic aspects of your university experience. You must attend this one-hour Zoom Webinar for your major:
June 15: Charlton College of Business
June 15: College of Visual & Performing Arts
June 18: College of Nursing
June 18 or 19: College of Engineering
June 22: College Now
June 22 - July 2: College of Arts & Sciences (You will attend 1 of 18 small group sessions.)
This will cover a welcome from the dean/director (or designee), an overview of academic advising/COIN course selection, student affairs overview, and a student panel.
3. Orientation leader small group meetings
In July, you will receive a Zoom invitation from your assigned Orientation Leader for a one-hour weekly Zoom Orientation Group meeting. Participation is required, and you will have the chance to meet others in your major as well as talk to upper-class students about their campus experiences. Meetings will occur for six weeks and cover a different topic each week:
July 13-17: Getting Started
July 20-24: Academics
July 27-31: Nuts & Bolts
August 3-7: Student Life
August 10-14: Getting Help
August 17-21: Stay Informed, Master Checklist & Next Steps
Additional Zoom Sessions
Additional optional Zoom sessions will be offered by any departments wishing to have an active session with first-year students to review important points and answer questions. Here is a current listing that we will update as sessions are announced:
- For Supports and Community for LGBTQ+ Students July 14, 4pm August 12, 2pm
- For students and family Athletics and Recreation July 29, 1pm
- For students and family International Programs (Study Abroad) July 23, 10am
- For students and family Career Conversations: Success Starts in Your First Year! July 15, 22, 29, 10am July 16, 23, 30, 2pm August 5, 12, 19, 10am August 6, 13, 20, 2pmFor students only Talking “Career” with Your First Year July 21 & August 11, 12pm July 22 & August 12, 6pm
- For family only We Are Here for You! Understanding and Accessing Counseling Center Resources: August 19, 1pm For students only We Are Here for Your Student! Understanding Counseling Center Resources Available to Students August 20, 11am
- For family only Center for Access & Success (Disability Services) August 12, 4pm
- For students and family UMASSD Information Technology Webinar July 16, 2–3pm August 6, 2–3pm August 20, 2–3pm
- For students and family Welcome to the UMassD Family Association: July 15 & 29, 12pm August 5 & 19, 4pm For family only
- For Students: Meet the Chaplains and learn of the many faith and spirituality opportunities on Campus
August 3, 2020 at 6:00 pm via ZoomRegistration Link:
For Parents: For Meet the Chaplains and learn of the many faith and spirituality opportunities on CampusAugust 3, 2020 at 7:00 pm via ZoomRegistration Link:
If you are interested in any of these sessions, follow one or all of the following for details:
Facebook - UMassD Class of 2024
Or you can email email@example.com
4. Fall orientation
While plans are still in flux, we are preparing to offer a dynamic three-day orientation experience on campus between move-in and the first day of classes. You will be notified via your UMassD email account, and updates will be posted on the orientation website.
If you have questions or concerns about anything related to Orientation, don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re here to help.