Orientation is required for all first-year students. You will:
- Make-Up Orientation 6-27, 8-30
- June Orientation 2019
- explore the campus
- get to know other students
- meet with academic advisors to finalize course selection for your first semester
You will receive an email invitation to register for your assigned orientation session.
- Schedule: Day 1 begins at 7:30am. Students stay overnight in the residence halls. Day 2 ends at 1:15pm.
- Park: Lots 5 & 6
- Check-in: ScallyWagon at Lot 6A
- June 13-14: Charlton College of Business, College of Visual & Performing Arts
- June 17-18: College of Engineering, College of Nursing
- June 20-21: College of Arts & Sciences: Biology, Chemistry, Crime & Justice Studies, Economics, English, French, History, Mathematics, Medical Lab Science, Philosophy, Portuguese, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, Spanish, Women's & Gender Studies
- June 24-25: College of Arts & Sciences: Arts & Sciences Undeclared, Liberal Arts; College Now/START
- June 27 & August 30: make-up session for students in all colleges, programs, and majors who did not attend an assigned orientation.
Plan to attend your session: if you cannot attend your assigned session, please plan to attend a make-up session in late June or late August.
Required: before orientation
- Online orientation: you must complete your online orientation prior to attending your on-campus orientation.
Go to: myUMassD: Orientation and log in using your UMassD account.
- Placement testing: you are required to complete placement testing to ensure proper placement into math and foreign language courses. If you have any questions, please email: email@example.com.
- sleeping bag (or sheets & blankets) & pillow
- driver's license, passport, or state ID, in order to get your student ID
- alarm app for your phone or an alarm clock
- comfortable clothes & shoes; umbrella or rain gear
- toothbrush & toothpaste, soap & shampoo, towel & hair dryer
- notebook & pen/pencil
- suggested list of medical items
Special accommodations: students requiring special accommodations during orientation may contact the Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion: 508.999.8008. Please provide as much advance notice as possible to allow for coordination of requested accommodations.
The Center for Access and Success provides special accommodations for students with disabilities to assist in their academic success. The services include note-takers, a reduced-distraction test-taking site, access to alternative textbook formats and more. Contact: 508.999.8711.
Special dietary needs: Please make us aware of any special dietary needs or allergies. Contact the Orientation Hotline so we may make arrangements prior to your arrival: 508.910.6497 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gender inclusive housing: We have gender inclusive housing available for trans and non-binary students. Please contact Karen Pimentel for accommodations: 508.910.6402 or email@example.com.
In compliance with the Massachusetts legal drinking age and UMass Dartmouth's alcohol and drug policy, alcoholic beverages are not allowed at New Student Orientation. Violators of the alcohol and drug policy will be dismissed from Orientation and could face University disciplinary action, up to dismissal from the University.
Friday, August 30, 2019 is the final orientation session for first-year students beginning the Fall 2019 semester. This session is for students in all colleges, programs, and majors, and provides an abbreviated version of the June orientation.
Once you have deposited with the university, an email will be sent to your umassd.edu email account inviting you to the make-up orientation. Once you respond to the RSVP, detailed information about the day will be provided.
For more information: 508.910.6497 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Required: after orientation
- Check your UMassD email account regularly
- Complete Not Anymore, a federally-mandated program for all first-year students
- Complete student health information
- Enter your emergency contact information
Complete your new student summer writing project at: UMassD Believes
Your #UMassDBelieves blog posts are an opportunity for you to:
- reflect on what exactly it is you care about
- learn about and from one another
- join the conversation about student life at UMassD
Mark your calendars
- post to the blog by 8/15/19
- reply to your peers by 9/4/19 (the first day of class)
- submit to the Essay Contest by 8/1/19
Orientation continues as you prepare to begin classes:
- Sunday, September 1: Move-in day for new residential students
- Monday, September 2: Fall Orientation Day 1 - What's it all about?, Commuter Meeting, Floor Meetings, Corsair Olympics
- Tuesday, September 3: Fall Orientation Day 2 - Class Photo, Convocation, Lunch on the Quad, Can you tell me where…?
- Wednesday, September 4: Classes begin