The SouthCoast Development Partnership serves as the region’s lead economic development organization.
The SCDP provides a forum where public and private leaders from the region’s two gateway cities, Fall River and New Bedford, and surrounding communities can collaborate on initiatives that will drive job growth, increase the tax base, attract capital investment, and help our SouthCoast businesses grow and compete in today’s global economy. The SCDP has in the past and will continue to host Regional Economic Development forums that accelerate these collaborations.
The SCDP also has a track record of targeted outreach in cluster industries and has promoted the region as a location for medical device manufacturers and bio tech companies to locate. The SCDP will continue to build contacts in various industries through outreach and referrals from MassEcon and in partnership with the Massachusetts Office of Business Development.
The SCDP has identified an economic development agenda that it will focus on going forward. This agenda includes:
- The SCDP is committed to working with University leadership to execute this strategic plan in a manner that maximizes economic prosperity in SouthCoast communities. This includes synergistic relationships with UMassD’s Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, Charlton College of Business, School for Marine Sciences and Technology, Career Services, and other schools and departments within the University.
- The SCDP is advocating for the re-establishment of commuter rail service to Southeastern Massachusetts. The commuter rail connection has the potential to drive economic development, create workforce housing, promote smart growth, and attract intellectual capital in the SouthCoast.
- The SCDP has pushed for increased state incentive programs such as the Massachusetts Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credit Program that help renovate historic buildings and revitalize historic areas in our cities and towns.
- The SCDP partnered with the City of Fall River and the Fall River Office of Economic Development to promote the Route 79 Project. This project will create a boulevard along the waterfront and 10 acres of developable land.
- The SCDP partnered with the City of New Bedford and the New Bedford Economic Development Council to strengthen the city’s economy by advocating for sustainable investments that are aligned with the City’s asset based strategy for growth, such as the Transformative Development Initiative.
- The SCDP is building relationships with the offshore wind energy industry to ensure that the SouthCoast benefits from any state mandated purchases of offshore wind power.