Parent/student designee access is designed to preserve the integrity of the student's UMassD Logon while allowing involved parties to securely view information that a student wishes to share, including paying a bill and accessing 1098T information for tax purposes.
For more information on parent access, students can refer to Student Resources in the MyUMassD portal: my.umassd.edu.
Within the COIN Student Center, students set up the designee (parent or other individual) and create the username and password for the account. It is the responsibility of the student to:
- Maintain this designated account
- Interact with the designee to answer questions
- Resolve any password issues
The student may modify or withdraw access at any time. Multiple designees may be created with varying access levels. For example, a parent might have access to view grades and make payments, while a guardian has access only to make a payment.
It is important that a student NEVER share his/her own UMassD Logon with anyone, even a parent or guardian—especially since the UMassD Logon is now used to authenticate access to email, HR Direct, myCourses, and other critical university systems.
- Parents/student designees will have view-only access to most items. They cannot, for instance, register for a student.
- The only action a parent/student designee can take is to pay the student’s bill.
- The provision of access by the students to the parent/student designee does not replace or change university policy about administrators having discussions about the student with parents or designees. Current confidentiality and FERPA procedures will be followed.
- Only the student can add, delete, or change the access given to a particular parent/student designee. If a parent/student designee calls and requests access, they will be directed to contact the student.
- Students will be informed of their FERPA rights and the implications of granting certain kinds of access.
A student can grant access to the following COIN functions:
- Academics: Class Schedule, Advising Report, Course History, Grades, Transcript, Enrollment Verification
- Bursar/Billing Information: Account Summary, Health Insurance Form, 1098 Ts, Waivable Fees, Invoices, Make a Payment
- Financial Aid: View Financial Aid/Award