Massachusetts is one of the world's hubs for digital technology. UMass Dartmouth's digital media program integrates digital art, design, and technology to advance the quality of digital communication and create a more understandable world.
You'll concentrate on digital animation and interactive multimedia while exploring 2- and 3-dimensional design, web design, and virtual reality. As you explore the potential of various digital media technologies, you'll engage in consistent, hands-on experimentation, working with faculty members who have considerable expertise in the field.
Your BFA degree in digital media will prepare you to meet the design and communications challenges of the 21st century with careers in areas such as art direction, advertising, animation, broadcasting, creative direction, education, environmental design, game design, interface design, multimedia, scientific visualization, software application design, special effects, video editing, virtual reality and web design.
The BFA is a professional degree with concentrated areas of specialization, so you will take more art courses than you would in a BA program. At UMass Dartmouth, you also have the advantages of a university education where you can diversify your studies and expand your career opportunities.
Frankie Romeo '17
Classes, capstone project & an internship have prepared him for a career in design.
- Blue Hills Bank
- Bright Horizons
- Fresh Tilled Soil
- Jack Morton Worldwide
- MDG Brand Innovation
- New York City
- Philips Lightolier
- Sametz Blackstone
- Swedish Historical Museum
- White Rhino
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
- Worldways Strategy + Creative
- Yak Pak
- Yale University
Our curriculum emphasizes conceptual development, digital production, and creative solutions to technical and communication problems. You'll explore:
- digital imaging, animation, 3-D digital modeling, virtual reality
- natural forms and their associated motions
- interface and web design
- storytelling and storyboarding
For the BFA in Visual Design - Digital Media, you'll complete 78 credits in courses related to your major, and 120 credits overall.
- Internships: enhance your studies while gaining professional experience
- Facilities: our computer, imaging, and virtual reality labs feature state-of-the art workstations, printers, and scanners with industry-standard software
- IDEAStudio: collaborate, create, and explore with state-of-the-art technology including a 3D scanner, 3D printer, and laser engraver
- Community: interact with professionals and peers by joining the Digital Media Club
- University Studies: gain the benefit of a university education to broaden your options for success in the arts
Earn an advanced degree
Master of Fine Arts in Visual Design: Continue your education with a master's in visual design. You can choose to specialize in digital media, graphic design, illustration, or photography.
Master of Art Education: With an emphasis on how the arts are integrated into daily life, the MAE program leads to a single-level professional certification in Massachusetts as an art teacher in grades Pre K-8 or 5-12.
Web & Interaction Design Certificate: Enhance your marketability with a certificate in web and interaction design. Your design knowledge will increase as you explore issues of web accessibility, findability, and usability.
Accreditation: National Association of Schools of Art and Design