Successful School for Marine Science & Technology (SMAST) applicants will generally have met the following criteria.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree with a GPA of 3.00 or higher
- Undergraduate major in one of the basic scientific disciplines or engineering
- OR, must have strong multidisciplinary training with completion of at least 6 semesters of coursework in the natural sciences, generally to include biology, chemistry, and/or physics
- Preparation in mathematics at least through integral calculus is strongly encouraged
In addition to the basic standards, the Admissions Committee will evaluate applicants on a number of additional criteria.
The following items are required documents, and must be submitted for consideration:
- The application for admission is available for completion on line or for download in PDF format. Alternatively, a paper version can be picked up or requested to be mailed. The application form must be filled out entirely.
- Three letters of recommendation from those familiar with the applicant's academic and/or work experience are required.
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate coursework are required.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores (sent directly from ETS) are recommended for PSM applicants and required of all others. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required if the applicant is not a native English speaker. Typically, GREs should have a combined score of 1200 or greater. For the TOEFL, a minimum of 577 (233 on the computer based exam, 90-91 on the internet based exam) is highly recommended.
- Statement of interest is also requested. The statement of interest should provide reviewers with an indication of your motivation for pursuing graduate work.