The mission of the UMass Dartmouth Upward Bound is to provide fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in their pre-college performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits. Upward Bound serves high school students who are preparing to enter postsecondary education--high school students from low-income families and high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor's degree
The goal of Upward Bound is to increase the rate at which participants complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education.
The Upward Bound Program is a college preparatory program for high school students, designed to provide academic, informational, and motivational support to participants as they prepare for a college career. Upward Bound's goal is to ensure that every participant applies to, is admitted to, and succeeds in college. The program seeks to:
- strengthen participants' academic skills
- instill in them an ambitious attitude and a disciplined commitment to hard work
- provide guidance in the selection of educational and career choices.
The Upward Bound Program recognizes that Scholars are most likely to succeed in college if they are given key fundamental skills relevant to academic progress and personal growth and development. The Program's educational focus is on reinforcing participants' basic academic skills, engaging them in critical thinking, assisting them in studying through the aid of tutorials, and providing preparation for SAT and MCAS examinations. In addition, the Program addresses other issues critical to success in high school and college such as time management, self-discipline, responsibility, self-esteem, and multicultural sensitivity and respect. As a result of the reinforcement and encouragement offered to participants by the Program, it is expected that, as participants, you will:
- Strengthen your ability to read and write
- Expand your vocabulary and improve your word usage
- Improve your analytical and critical thinking skills
- Take higher level high school courses in preparation for the rigor of college academics
- Continue to acquire the skills and qualities, which contribute to positive personal growth and development
- Contribute through community service so as to build your skills and supplement your college applications
- Make informed and appropriate choices regarding the college or university you will attend