Minimum user level: Moderator
A minimum user level of Moderator is required for some of this functionality due to its potential for severe impact to the website.
When content is added to TERMINALFOUR (T4), it needs to go through an approval process before it can be published. This is a quality management function and ensures only approved content is visible on your site.
The approval process refers to the actions taken to review and manage new or edited content. This content appears in the list of content awaiting approval in the Approve section.
- When new content is created or existing content is edited in TERMINALFOUR, the status is set to Pending and it appears in the Approval queue.
- Content with the status of Draft does not appear in the Approval menu and will not be published to your site, unless there is a previously approved version of the content. Draft content, when completed, must be approved before publishing.
- Content with the status of Rejected is never published to your site. Rejected content, after possible remedial actions, must be approved before it can be published.
- If content is assigned to a Workflow, approving the content advances it to the next step in the workflow.
- You can approve content from the Direct edit screen.
To access the list of content pending your approval, go to Content > Approve Content. Link to content approval queue in T4: https://cms.umassd.edu/terminalfour/page/approve
This page opens in a tabular format with seven columns:
- Name - shows the content name, the content ID number, and a breadcrumb link to edit the content.
- Version - the version number of the Content Item. Each time you make and save an edit to a Content Item a version is created.
- Last modified - the date on which the Content Item was last modified
- Last modified by - the user who last modified the content
- Workflow (Step) - shows the Workflow step (if the content is in a workflow)
- Actions (button) - drop-down menu with these items: Approve, History, and Reject
- Check boxes - check as needed to take actions for approval, or to move content forward in the Workflow. A check to the box in the head row is the Select all function. This only appears if selective approval has been enabled for the current user level.
Content can be sorted by clicking on the table headings, or filtered by entering text within the Filter.
To review a pending Content Item, simply click the Name of the content to edit the content, providing the option for Preview.
Once content has been reviewed and it is correct and ready to approve, click the associated Actions button, scroll to Approve and click. Alternatively, if selective approval is enabled, check the checkboxes in the right column, and select the Approve button.
A confirmation popup window confirms the Name and Sections of the content. Additionally, there is a Comments box intended to allow comments to be inserted upon approval. Inserting comments is optional and content can be approved without comment. Click Approve.
For content that has a history (previous versions), you can review the history using the Actions drop-down menu and selecting History.
This popup box shows a formatted table with the Name, Version, Previous version, Owner, Last modified, and Last modified by header titles.
When you have two or more versions, you can do a side-by-side comparison of the content. Check at least two check boxes in the far right column to select the versions for comparison. Click the Compare selected button. This screen appears:
After you review the content details, you can make an Approval decision (included Workflow if needed), or Reject the content. Make your choice or cancel.
In some cases you might want to reject content outright. When this is the case, the process is simple. After your review of the content, and you want to reject, then click the appropriate Actions button and scroll to Reject and click. This popup window appears:
Briefly describe the reason for rejection. Be specific in the reasons and suggest remedial actions that could enable the content to be resubmitted if appropriate. You can reject the content without reason. Click the Reject button to complete the rejection and send an email to the content editor.