Writing and Reading Center Mission Statement
We are a diverse group here to engage and empower members of the UMass Dartmouth community.
- We guide learners through all stages of the writing process to develop the skills necessary to be confident thinkers, writers, and readers with an increased likelihood of retention and graduation.
- We encourage learners to view writing as a continuous process of generating and incorporating ideas, research, peer feedback, and revision.
- We apply a personalized, supportive approach to learners of all disciplines, skill levels, languages, and cultures to strengthen study techniques, vocabulary, brainstorming, thesis development, and reading comprehension for traditional and digital platforms.
- We provide collaborative conversation to engage learners in critical thinking, problem solving, and developing both independent and transferable skills throughout the writing process.
- We build a strong, safe community that involves interdisciplinary collaboration between other departments, centers, and programs.
The Writing & Reading Center is an open and inclusive environment dedicated to the cultivation of skills and confidence in writing and reading. We inspire and challenge learners at all levels to enhance their writing and think critically.
In Spring 2017, the tutoring staff of the WRC collaboratively developed the center's mission statement. Special thanks to graduate assistant Rachel Wicks for her editorial expertise/vision.