Skip to main content.

Aging and Health Minor

Graduation Day with Diploma Folder, Rose, and a Minor in Aging and Health.

UMass Dartmouth is pleased to offer a minor in Aging and Health (AGH). See our new Facts Sheet Flyer AGH!

The Aging and Health Minor is designed for degree candidates from any college in the university who want to specialize in the gerontological aspects of their discipline or to understand the aging process more fully. The program aligns well among students with majors in biology, medical laboratory science, Sociology, Psychology, Health & Society, and Nursing, though all majors are welcome.

"I would recommend any student to become an Aging & Health minor. With advancing health and technology, the life expectancy has become longer, which in return is making an impact on the healthcare system." - Angelica Royer, College of Nursing and Health Sciences

Since courses are offered predominantly in the daytime and are not necessarily available every year, programs of study require careful consultation with the Director of the Aging and Health Minor.

Requirements by the University require 9 credits of the 18 credits to be 300-400-level and be minor-specific. The other 9 credits should still be substantively related yet can be from other disciplines at the 100-200-level.

Full Curriculum available as PDF here: CurriculumJan2017r (PDF)

Coursework (18 Total Credits; composed of 6 courses at 3 credits each)

Core Courses (2)

AGH 220 / PSY 220 Lifespan Development (prereqs: PSY101)

AGH 301 / PSY 301 Adulthood & Aging (prereqs: PSY101, AGH/PSY220)

Aging, Society, and Health (pick 3)

Biology, Health, and Environment (pick 1)

Important Notes for the Minor

  1. 9 of the 18 credits must be at the 300-400-level and be minor-specific. Further, those nine cannot be counted twice.
  2. If a psychology major, then three of the courses (9 credits) must come from non-psychology courses.

For general questions, please contact us. If you would like to complete the Minor in Aging & Health please fill out the Undergraduate Major Minor Concentration Change Form on the Registrar's Website under Student Forms.

Back to top of screen