UMass Dartmouth Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Maritime Innovations Conference: Connecting, Training & Advancing
Wednesday November 30, 2016 from 8:30 AM to 7:00 PM EST
151 Martine Street, Fall River, MA, 02723
Please join us for the Annual Maritime Innovation: connecting, training and advancing conference. This event will bring together leading edge marine technology companies for a day of programming aimed at providing an overview of current trends in the industry, and a showcase of start up companies to discuss their new technologies.
This event is Sponsored by the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth's Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship and is part of our mission to connect the university with industry, organizations, state and federal agencies, and other key stakeholders in order to grow the region's economy.
8:30 Registration & Networking
9:00 Welcome - Toby Stapleton, Assistant Vice Chancellor & Director of UMass Dartmouth Center for Innovation & Entrepreneurship
9:10 Opening Remarks, Dean Steve Lohrenz, UMass Dartmouth School of Science and Marine Technology
9:30 Keynote Speaker: Paul M Brett, Head School of Ocean Technology, Fisheries and Marine Institute of Memorial University
10:00 Network and Coffee Break
10:30 Panel Discussion : Arctic, What are the needs today?
Moderator: Jose A. Vazquez, New Stone Soup VT, LLC
- The Honorable Ralf Horlemann, Consul General, German Consulate in Boston: Germany’s interest in the Arctic.
- Denis Hains, Director General, Canadian Hydrographic Service (CHS) and Hydrographer General of Canada at Fisheries and Oceans Canada: Canadian Arctic Requirements.
- Commander Scott Hale, U.S. Coast Guard, Arctic Policy Coordination: US Coast Guard Arctic Strategy
- Dr. William S. Weiss, Naval Undersea Warfare Center, Newport, Rhode Island member on U.S. Navy Task Force Climate Change: U.S. Navy Arctic Roadmap
- Rich Hansen, Surface Branch Chief, U.S. Coast Guard Research & Development Center, New London, Connecticut. U.S. Coast Guard Arctic Requirements
11:30 Elevator Pitches (8 Marine Technology Firms will deliver a 5 minute elevator pitch)
- Ocean Sonics
- Geoforce Group Limited
12:00 Lunch, buffet
Speaker, Matthew Morrissey, Vice President, Massachusetts Deepwater Wind
1:15 Workshop : “Doing Cross-Border Business”
- Erin Daily Donahue, Trade Commissioner, Defense and Ocean Technologies, The Consulate General of Canada
- Maryanne Burke, Senior International Trade Specialist, US Commercial Service
- Nancy Lowd, Senior International Trade Advisor, Massachusetts Export Center
- Jim Kirk, Business Development Manager, Ocean Server Technologies
2:15 Network and Coffee Break
2:30 Panel: Arctic, Ongoing work and market gaps?
Moderator: Carolyn Kirk, Deputy Secretary, Massachusetts Executive Office of Housing and Economic Development
- Dr. Frederick Lasserre, Professor Universite Laval: Arctic Shipping Implications and Arctic Net.
- Dr. Richard B. Coffin, Chair, Department of Physical and Environmental Sciences, Texas A&M University – Corpus Christi. Methane Hydrates Research in the Arctic
- Robert O’Malley, iXblue: Navigation gaps in the Arctic.
- Dr. Pamela Neubert, Senior Associate, Stantec: Ongoing environmental work in the arctic.
3:30 Elevator Pitches (8 Marine Technology Firms will deliver a 5 minute elevator pitch)
- Boston Engineering
- Littoral Power Systems
4:15 Signing of the MOU between the Umass Dartmouth Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship (CIE) and the Centre for Ocean Ventures and Entrepreneurship (COVE), Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Premier McNeil, Nova Scotia
- Carolyn Kirk, Deputy Secretary, Massachusetts Executive Office of Housing and Economic Development
- Jim Hanlon, CEO, Institute for Ocean Research Enterprise
- Toby Stapleton, Director CIE
5:00 Networking Reception, Open Bar (wine/beer) with hot, delicious, Hor d'oeuvres