Are you a community organization looking for an academic partner?
We partner with community non-profits; public, private, and charter schools; local businesses; and local government agencies to provide opportunities suited to the varying interests of students, faculty, and staff.
By partnering with the Leduc center, community organizations also benefit from the center's access to the University's intellectual and human capital resources.
We work closely with our surrounding communities to meet the University's educational mission. To enrich the lives of our community, both on campus and locally, and provide UMass Dartmouth students with a superior education experience, community partners are fundamental.
Working with students
- Volunteer opportunities are posted and accessible to the entire UMass Dartmouth student body.
- Student volunteers are free to serve where and in any manner they choose. Their limitations are their own interests, time constraints, the organization's volunteer requirements, and, possibly, transportation.
- Service-learning students are required to serve as a part of their class. Their community interactions are closely tied to their academics. Their limitations are similar to those of student volunteers, with the one key difference being that the service may not necessarily be one of their own interests, but rather a requirement.
- Community organizations also have the opportunity to post listings for internships and jobs through the Career Center.
To post a community service opportunity, please complete this form.
Working with faculty
- Community-based research projects are time-intensive for the faculty member involved, but can result in productive relationships where the needs of the community organization are aligned with the interests of the faculty member, providing clear benefits to all involved.
- Service-learning projects provide students the opportunity to develop a better understanding of the relationship between service and the academic curriculum. They are better prepared to be engaged citizens in the community, providing value to themselves and their local community.