The CIE's Biomanufacturing Laboratory works to provide education and workforce development for biotechnology and biopharmaceutical industries, as well as support local and startup companies through the process of product development.
- Offer wet lab courses such as bioengineering lab and others.
- Support faculty research in the areas of molecular biology, biochemistry and bioengineering.
- Provide lab and bench space, equipment, instrument and mentorship to students for their thesis research and capstone projects.
- Provide equipment, instrument and engineering expertise for start-up companies to develop their products.
- Molecular cloning and expressing genes in bacterial systems.
- Fermentation and bioreactor design.
- Isolation and purification of recombinant proteins.
- Isolation and purification of plasmid DNAs.
- Chemical analysis, biological assay and testing.
Instrument and Equipment
- Atomic absorption spectrometer (Perkin Elmer AAnalyst 300)
- Autoclaves (Vernitron Majestic, Napco Model 8000-DSE, Tuttnauer)
- Balance and scale (Mettler Toledo PB 303-S, A&D FR-300)
- Biological safety hood (Baker SteriGard)
- Centrifuges (Eppendorf 5415 R, Fisher Scientific Centrific)
- CO2 incubator (Sanyo MCO-17AIC)
- Coliform incubator bath (Precision Scientific)
- Energy dispersed X-ray spectroscopy (Oxford Instruments INCA Energy)
- Fourier transferred infrared spectrophotometer (Perkin Elmer Spectrum 100)
- Freezer (Revco PLUS ultra-low temperature freezer)
- Gas chromatography (Buck Scientific Model 910)
- Gas chromatography mass spectrometer (Hewlett Packard HP 6890/MSD 5973)
- Gel electrophoresis (Invitrogen Novex Mini-Cell)
- Hemocytometer (Hausser Scientific Bright-Line)
- High performance liquid chromatography (Buck Scientific BLC-20)
- Infrared spectrophotometer (Buck Scientific Model 500)
- Lab ovens (Quincy Lab Inc., Sheldon Manufacturing, Inc.)
- Optical microscopes (Olympus BH-2, Leica ATC 2000, Fisher Scientific, Edmund Industrial Optics)
- pH meters (Cole Parmer, American Scientific)
- Potentiostat (Digi-Ivy DY2300)
- Refrigerator (Kenmore)
- Scanning electron microscope (Jeol JSM 5610)
- Shaker incubators (New Brunswick Sciritific Innova 2100, Thermo Scientific MaxQ 4450)
- Sputter coater (Denton Vacuum)
- Ultrasonic water bath (VWR Scientific Aquasonic)
- UV/Vis spectrophotometers (Hach DR/4000U)
- Ventilation hoods (Fisher Hamilton SafeAire)
- Vortex (VWR Vortexer, Scientific Industries Vortex-Genie 2)
- Water bath (Precision Scientific)
- Water purification system (Thermo Scientific E-pure)