Please feel free to contact us if you have questions that are not addressed below.

Registration and Course FAQs

Can I take courses without being admitted to a degree program?



Student may enroll in a single course, a number of courses, or a program leading to a bachelor's degree. All credit courses offered are University of Massachusetts Dartmouth courses and the grades earned are reflected in the student's grade point average at the university.


Students interested in enrolling in a graduate course need to process a non-degree special student form through the Graduate Studies Office. Enrolling in a graduate class as a non-degree student requires permission of the instructor and/or the director of the specific graduate program. Each department has different procedures, so you should first consult the Office of Graduate Studies at 508.999.8604. If you are considering taking a sequence of graduate courses in a certain academic area, it is best to get the advice of the Graduate Program Director.


How do I select my courses?

University Extension is open throughout the entire year. Admissions coordinators are available during the day or evening to assist students applying, transferring and registering for courses.

To schedule an appointment in Dartmouth or Fall River, please call 508.999.9202 or email extension@umassd.edu.

For Cape Cod programs, please email capecod@umassd.edu.

Although we will make every effort to see walk-ins, new students are strongly urged to schedule an appointment in advance. Students wishing to transfer credits earned at other colleges or universities must bring an unofficial/student copy of their transcript(s) for their advisor to review, and, if possible, catalog descriptions of courses taken.


How do I register for courses? How do I reapply to UMass Dartmouth?

You have many ways to register: through COIN (for matriculated UMD students), in person at the University Enrollment Center (1st floor-Foster Administration Building), or by phone with a major credit card by calling 508.999.9129.

A printable Registration Form is found online (as a PDF file) for your convenience. Below is an example of a Principles of Accounting II course and how the registration form should be completed:

Subject Catalogue# Course Title Unit
ACT 212-8102 Principles of Accounting II 3 (# of credits)



If you were formerly a student and want to reapply to the University, please complete our Readmission Application Form

How do I register for online courses?

First time UMass Dartmouth students, please register by phone with a major credit card by calling 508.999.9129, or in person at the University Enrollment Center in the 1st floor of the Foster Administration Building.

If you are already a matriculated UMass Dartmouth student, you can register through COIN online.

If this is your first UMass Dartmouth online course, you will need to activate your UMass Dartmouth email account. All online course correspondence is done through your UMD email, not your personal email.

Attention Students: Please download the following pdf Getting Started with myCourses Student Guide for information on how to log into your online course(s).

If you need technical support, please contact the Student IT Service Center.

What are my payment options?

Payment Procedures

Students must pay for courses in full at the time of registration with cash, check or credit card.

TMS Monthly Budget Plan

The TMS Monthly Budget Plan is available during the Spring, Summer, and Fall terms for those who would like to pay for their course(s) over a four month period. TMS is not available for non-credit courses. TMS forms are available at the University Enrollment Center.

Financial Aid

Those enrolled in degree programs may be eligible for financial aid, please apply through the office of Financial Aid.


Where do I purchase my books?

Either online or in person from the Campus Store on the ground floor of the UMass Dartmouth Campus Center. The Campus Store stocks all required textbooks for continuing education courses, plus recommended and supplementary books, art supplies, nursing supplies, newspapers, and magazines.

Attention Students: Students who choose to purchase their textbooks before confirmation of courses take the chance of needing to return their textbooks due to course cancellations. Also, because of space availability, University Extension advises students who receive waivers to please wait until they are officially enrolled in their course(s) to purchase textbooks.

If your course is cancelled, please review our Refund Policy.

Cape Cod Community College satellite location textbooks will be available at the CCCC bookstore. For CCCC bookstore information, please call 508.357.4022.

Where can I park my car and do I need a parking permit?

Anyone parking a vehicle on University property must obtain a parking permit in the form of a decal or other permit, or purchase a temporary parking pass to park. The words "decal" and "permit" are used interchangeably in these regulations. Faculty, staff, and students must park in areas designated by their respective permits or, as in the case of visitors, use designated visitor parking.

At the our Fall River satellite location, parking is available for a nominal fee at the Pearl Street garage, which is within one block of the building. Metered parking is also available on South Main St.

Directions to the main Dartmouth campus and satellite locations.

How and when do I access my grades?

Grades are not mailed. It is the student’s responsibility to use the COIN (Corsairs Online Information) system to access grades. If you need assistance with the COIN system, please contact the Help Desk at 508.999.8884.

Professors are given 72 hours from the last class day/exam to submit final grades.

Watch this Viewing Your Grades video for instructions on how to check your grades in COIN.

Should I use my UMass Dartmouth email account and how do I activate it?

Email accounts are provided to every UMass Dartmouth student. This is an official means of communication for UMass Dartmouth notifications, alerts, announcements and events. More information about our email system, Zimbra, can be found here. For additional information about technology at UMass Dartmouth, visit Computing and Information Technology Services (CITS).

If the University Extension course that I need to graduate is full, what can I do?

If you run into a situation in which a course you need to graduate is filled to capacity; you have the option of contacting the professor directly for approval to enter their course. An email from the professor or a signed registration form is required by the University Enrollment Center to officially enroll you into the class.

Professors’ contact information is available within the online directory. If you are unable to find a part-time professor, please email University Extension at call 508.999.9202.