Since we can't indulge in Chef Kevin's creations at the Marketplace and other UMass Dining Services locations, he comes to us in this new series Corsair Kitchen: Cooking at home with Chef Kevin.
In the first installment, Chef Kevin shows us how to prepare a simple 3:1 salad dressing.
Chef Kevin's Salad Dressing
- 1 garlic clove
- Vegetable oil and extra virgin olive oil (or oil of your choice)
- Vinegar (your choice - Chef Kevin uses pomegrante vinegar)
- Mustard (acts as an emulisfier)
- Use a mix of anything you like in your kitchen, but be sure to use a 3:1 ration of oil to vinegar
- Smash the clove of garlic. Remove the skins and ends.
- Add salt and mash the garlic clove with the side of your knife to make a paste.
- Use the 3:1 ratio using any measurement (1 cup, 1/2 cups, 1/3 cup). Chef Kevin used 2 cups of vegetable oil and 1 cup of extra virgin olive oil.
- Add a spoonful of mustard to help mix the oil and vinegar together.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir ingredients together in the bowl then drizzle over your salad.