SMAST / Estuarine & Ocean Sciences
School for Marine Science & Technology East, New Bedford 230
|1979||Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India||B.Tech. Naval Architecture|
|1981||Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi, India||M.Tech. Applied Mechanics|
|1990||University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI||Ph.D. Ocean Engineering|
- Ocean circulation and numerical modeling
- Applying mesoscale and finer resolution models for operational synoptic ocean forecasting
- Understanding the multi-scale response of ecosystems to multi-scale climatic forcing using innovative basin-scale modeling and data-model assimilation and synthesis approaches
- Coastal operational ocean modeling (western North Atlantic (MARCOOS), Brazil Current system, Trinidad-North Brazil Current ring region, Gulf of Maine/Georges Bank)
- Basin-scale circulation modeling to understand the North Atlantic Oscillation and its impact on the Gulf Stream, the Gulf of Maine and the ecosystem
- Synthesis of multi-scale, multi-disciplinary data sets from satellite and in-situ observations with numerical models in different parts of the world ocean
- Recent Changes in Shelfbreak Exchange on the New England Shelf: Process-Oriented Observations of Salinity Maximum Intrusions, Funded by NSF (08/2019--07/2022).
Gangopadhyay, A., G. Gawarkiewicz, N. Etige, M. Monim and J. Clark (2019).
An Observed Regime Shift in the Formation of Warm Core Rings from the Gulf Stream
Scientific Reports, 9
Shee, A., Sil, S., Gangopadhyay, A., Gawarkiewicz, G., & Ravichandran, M (2019).
Seasonal evolution of oceanic upper layer processes in the northern Bay of Bengal following a single Argo ﬂoat
Geophysical Research Letters, 46
Gawarkiewicz, G., R.E. Todd, W. Zhang, J. Partida, A. Gangopadhyay, M.-U.-H. Monim, P. Fratantoni, A. Malek Mercer, and M. Dent. (2018).
The changing nature of shelf-break exchange revealed by the OOI Pioneer Array
Oceanography, 31(1):, 60–7.
- An operational modeling implementation for the Trinidad-Venezuela region using feature models
- Multiscale forecasting in the western North Atlantic: Sensitivity of model forecast skill to glider data assimilation
- Optimal Planning and Sampling Predictions for Autonomous and Lagrangian Platforms and Sensors in the Northern Arabian Sea
- Secular change and inter-annual variability of the Gulf Stream position, 1993–2013, 70°−55°W