Successful School for Marine Science & Technology (SMAST) applicants will generally have met the following criteria.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree with a GPA of 3.00 or higher
- Undergraduate major in one of the basic scientific disciplines or engineering
- OR, must have strong multidisciplinary training with completion of at least 6 semesters of coursework in the natural sciences, generally to include biology, chemistry, and/or physics
- Preparation in mathematics at least through integral calculus is strongly encouraged
In addition to the basic standards, the Admissions Committee will evaluate applicants on a number of additional criteria.
The following items are required documents, and must be submitted for consideration:
- The application for admission is available for completion online or for download in PDF format. Alternatively, a paper version can be picked up or requested to be mailed. The application form must be filled out entirely.
- Three letters of recommendation from those familiar with the applicant's academic and/or work experience are required.
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate coursework are required.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores (sent directly from ETS) are recommended for PSM applicants and required of all others. Typically, GREs should be in the 50th percentile or greater in each of the test areas, quantitative, verbal and writing.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required if the applicant is not a native English speaker. Typically, a minimum TOEFL score of 577 (233 on the computer-based exam, 90-91 on the internet-based exam) is highly recommended.
- Statement of interest is also requested. The statement of interest should provide reviewers with an indication of your motivation for pursuing graduate work.