The School for Marine Science and Technology (SMAST) is located in downtown New Bedford. Both facilities, SMAST East and SMAST West, are less than 10 miles from the main UMass Dartmouth campus. New Bedford's historic features include specialty shops, restaurants, and galleries.
- Take I-195 toward New Bedford to Route 18 south.
- After several sets of lights, Route 18 becomes Water Street, then South Rodney French Boulevard.
- Continue on South Rodney French Boulevard.
- You will pass through a hurricane dike and a beach area.
- SMAST is located at the point of South Rodney French Blvd.