University requirements for graduate admissions
- Submit an application via the online portal. Be sure to provide your full legal name and to capitalize the first letter of all proper nouns.
- Pay non-refundable $60 application fee (American Express, Discover, MasterCard or Visa) via the online portal. For Nursing applicants, the non-refundable application fee is $75.
- Statement of Purpose, minimum 300 words. Unless otherwise indicated in the program requirement details, indicate your graduate study objectives, research interests and experience, and business or industry experience if applicable. If you are applying for a teaching or research assistantship, include any special skills or experience that would assist us in making assistantship decisions.
- Transcripts for all post-secondary institutions attended (regardless of whether a credential is earned or not). Unofficial transcripts are accepted for admissions application review, once enrolled a final official transcript is required. International students applying for Data Science must submit semester-by-semester transcripts as well as consolidated transcripts.
- Many programs have specific recommendations/requirements, please see the additional program-specific requirements for more information.
- International students: official TOEFL, IELTS, Pearson PTE or Duolingo (if accepted by program) score. Unofficial scores are accepted for admissions application review, once enrolled official scores are required and must be sent by the testing agency (copies/scans not accepted). This is required of any applicant who did not earn a bachelor’s degree or higher degree from an accredited academic institution in the U.S. or accepted English-speaking country, see exemptions for more details. The Duolingo test is not accepted for the following programs: Art Education, Biology/Marine Biology, Luso-Afro-Brazilian Studies & Theory, Marine Science and Technology (MS, PSM, PhD), Nursing (MS, DNP, PhD), Portuguese Studies, Professional Writing and Communication, Psychology (ABA, Clinical, Research), and Public Policy.
- All official documents are required for enrollment, please have documents (ie. test scores) sent prior to the expiration.
Complete the program-specific requirements for your program.
Applications are reviewed after they are complete, and decisions are made as soon as possible.
A maximum of 6 credit hours (or the equivalent) may be transferred from another institution toward a UMass Dartmouth graduate degree—and a maximum of 3 credit hours (or the equivalent) may be transferred toward a UMass Dartmouth graduate certificate—with approval of the relevant department, dean and Office of Graduate Studies, provided the courses have a B minus or better grade.
Unless specific arrangements have been approved by relevant entities, including the Office of Graduate Studies, course credits applied in the attainment of another credential (e.g., degree or certificate) from any institution, including UMass Dartmouth, cannot be used to fulfill any of the requirements of a graduate credential (e.g., degree or certificate) at UMass Dartmouth.
Mailing materials to UMassD
If mailing materials, please include your full and complete legal name on each item.
Mail materials to:
Office of Graduate Studies
Foster Administration, Room 122
285 Old Westport Road
Dartmouth, MA 02747-2300