University of Massachusetts Dartmouth Chapter of Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society
The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth Chapter of Sigma Xi will hold a two-day exhibition showcasing the research being done by faculty, staff and students on April 12th and 13th, 2023. The exhibition will follow the format of poster sessions at professional society meetings, and will be held at the Library Livingroom.
Information for participants
Students working on independent research projects with faculty in all disciplines are invited to submit an abstract and present a poster. Poster space is limited and submitted abstracts will be evaluated in a competitive process. Please note that this exhibit is not the appropriate forum for required class or capstone presentations. All members of the University community are cordially invited to visit the exhibition to see the research activities of our colleagues.
DEADLINE EXTENDED !!!!!
The deadline for registration and abstract submission is Friday, March 17th, Friday March 24th, 2023 at 11:59 PM. Abstracts submitted after the deadline will not be accepted. When you have a final abstract, fill out the registration form. If you have any questions about the registration or abstract submission procedure, contact Elizabeth Winiarz (retired Science Librarian) (firstname.lastname@example.org). Notification about acceptance should be received after March 28, 2023.
Participants are expected to be present at their posters from 1 pm until 3 pm on Wednesday afternoon (April 12) and from 10 am until 12 noon on Thursday (April 13). Judges will visit the posters during these times and cash prizes will be announced for the best graduate poster and best undergraduate poster at 1 pm on Thursday. The posters should be removed after 1 pm on Thursday. A list of posters will be made available to presenters, judges and attendees.
Three-part hinged display boards (40 inches tall x 60 inches wide) will be made available to the presenters for mounting posters. Please organize your display so that mounting can be done using binder clips, not tape or pins. Clips will be provided.
- 2023 Sigma Xi Registration Form -
Sigma Xi 2022 Exhibit Organizing Committee Members:
- Nancy O'Connor (Biology)
- Elizabeth Winiarz (Retired Science Librarian)
- Tara Rajaniemi (Biology)
- Whitney Hable (Biology)
- Kathryn Kavanagh (Biology)
- Genevieve Kozak (Biology)
- Diana Barrett (Biology)
- Renee Montenaro (Biology)
- Brittany Velikaneye (Biology)
- and others
Sigma XI Research Exhibition
Abstract Preparation And Submission Guidelines
- The abstract should be written as a single paragraph that describes the objectives, methods, and results of the research. It should be written for a non-specialist and should not include references, citations or images. The acknowledgment of sponsors or funding agencies is permitted.
- The text of the abstract must not exceed 1,180 characters including spaces. (Approximately 225 words). You should write the abstract in your word processor, then check its length. (With Microsoft Word choose "word count" from the "tools" menu. It will tell you the number of words, as well as the number of characters with spaces.) The form will not allow any abstract to exceed 1180 characters.
Please consult your faculty advisor before you submit your abstract. Once you are both satisfied that your abstract is appropriate you may simply cut and paste it into the online form. Your faculty advisor must initial the form before you may submit your abstract.