SMAST / Estuarine & Ocean Sciences
School for Marine Science & Technology West, New Bedford 104
|1978||University of Oregon||B.A.|
|1985||Massachusetts Institute of Technology/Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution||Ph.D|
- Satellite Oceanography
- Phytoplankton Ecology
- Aquatic Optics
- Intercampus Marine Science Programs MS, PhD
- Marine Science and Technology MS
- Marine Science and Technology PhD
- Marine Science and Technology PSM
- University of São Paulo Dual PhD PhD
- PI, “An Integrated Terrestrial-Coastal Ocean Observation and Modeling Framework for Carbon Management Decision Support" (collaborative project with Auburn University, University of Delaware, and North Carolina State University) NASA, $1.2M over three years ($228K to UMass Dartmouth)
- PI, “Research and Education in Quantitative Fisheries and Ecosystem Science,” NOAA (subaward through the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution), $360K over three years
- PI, " Collaborative Research: A RAPID response to Hurricane Harvey's impacts on coastal carbon cycle, metabolic balance and ocean acidification", (collaborative project with Univ. Delaware, Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium, and Dauphin Island Sea Lab), NSF, $34,232 over one year
- Biological distributions and productivity
- Cycling of carbon and nutrients in coastal and ocean waters using ship-based measurements and optical and remotely sensed observations
- Characterization of land-ocean interactions using coupled ecosystem models to assess impacts of climate and land use change
- Optical assessment of air-sea carbon fluxes in river-dominated margins
- Optical detection and assessment of harmful algal blooms
Tian, H., R. Xu, S. Pan, Y. Yao, Z. Bian, W.-J. Cai, C. S. Hopkinson, D. Justic, S. Lohrenz, C. Lu, W. Ren, and J. Yang (2020).
Long-Term Trajectory of Nitrogen Loading and Delivery From Mississippi River Basin to the Gulf of Mexico
Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 34(5), abstract.
Fennel, K., S. Alin, L. Barbero, W. Evans, T. Bourgeois, S. Cooley, J. Dunne, R. A. Feely, J. M. Hernandez-Ayon, X. Hu, S. Lohrenz, F. Muller-Karger, R. Najjar, L. Robbins, E. Shadwick, S. Siedlecki, N. Steiner, A. Sutton, D. Turk, P. Vlahos, and Z. A. Wang (2019).
Carbon cycling in the North American coastal ocean: a synthesis
Biogeosciences, 16(6), abstract.
Lohrenz, S. E., W. J. Cai, S. Chakraborty, W. J. Huang, X. Guo, R. He, Z. Xue, K. Fennel, S. Howden, and H. Tia (2018).
Satellite estimation of coastal pCO2 and air-sea flux of carbon dioxide in the northern Gulf of Mexico
Remote Sensing of Environment, 207, 71-83.