Professor & Montgomery Charter Chair
SMAST / Fisheries Oceanography
School for Marine Science & Technology East, New Bedford 226
|1983||Ocean University of China||M.S. in Meteorology|
|1989||Massachusetts Institute of Technology||M.S. in Physical Oceanography|
|1992||Massachusetts Institute of Technology/Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution Joint Program||Ph.D in Physical Oceanography|
- MAR650: Marine Ecosystem Dynamics
- MAR513: Numerical Methods in Ocean Sciences
- MAR599: Special Topics-Arctic Ocean Dynamics and Its Roles to Climate Change
- MAR599: Special-Topic: Ocean Circulation Theory
- MAR599: Special Topic: Impacts of Climate Change on Ecosystem.
- Intercampus Marine Science Programs MS, PhD
- Marine Science and Technology MS
- Marine Science and Technology PhD
- University of São Paulo Dual PhD PhD
Investigations of a fundamental and/or applied nature representing an original contribution to the scholarly research literature of the field. PhD dissertations are often published in refereed journals or presented at major conferences. A written dissertation must be completed in accordance with the rules of the Graduate School and the School for Marine Science and Technology. Admission to the course is based on successful completion of the PhD comprehensive examination and submission of a formal proposal endorsed by the student's graduate committee and submitted to the SMAST Graduate Program Director.
- Multi-scale resolving global-regional-coastal-esturine integrated FVCOM model development
- Arctic Ocean modeling, the Gulf of Maine/New England ecosystem dynamics
- Northeast Coastal Ocean Forecast System (NECOFS) development and operations
- Coastal ocean acidification/ecosystem/water quality
- FVCOM development and improvement
- $138,812.00 Projecting Climate-related Shifts in American Lobster Habitat and Connectivity
- Modeling and observational exploration of coastal ocean circulation
- Oceanic frontal processes
- Biological and physical interactions
- Arctic Ocean and Climate Change
- Multi-scaling ocean model developments
- Chen, C., G. Gao, Y. Zhang, R. C. Beardsley, Z. Lai, J. Qi, H. Lin (2016).
Circulation in the Arctic Ocean: Results from a high-resolution coupled ice-sea nested Global-FVCOM and Arctic-FVCOM system
Progress in Oceanography, 141, 60-80.
- Zhang, Y., C. Chen, R. C. Beardsley, G. Gao, Z. Lai, B. Curry, C. M. Lee, H. Lin, J. Qi, and Q. Xu (2016).
Studies of the Canadian Arctic Archipelago water transport and its relationship to basin-local forcings: Results from AO-FVCOM
Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans, 121, doi:10.100.
- Sun, Y., C. Chen, R. C. Beardsley, D. Ullman, B. Butman, H. Lin (2016).
Surface circulation in Block Island Sound and adjacent coastal and shelf regions
Progress in Oceanography, 143, 26-45.