Professor & Montgomery Charter Chair
SMAST / Fisheries Oceanography
School for Marine Science & Technology East, New Bedford 226
|1983||Ocean University of China||M.S. in Meteorology|
|1989||Massachusetts Institute of Technology||M.S. in Physical Oceanography|
|1992||Massachusetts Institute of Technology/Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution Joint Program||Ph.D in Physical Oceanography|
- MAR650: Marine Ecosystem Dynamics
- MAR513: Numerical Methods in Ocean Sciences
- MAR599: Special Topics-Arctic Ocean Dynamics and Its Roles to Climate Change
- MAR599: Special-Topic: Ocean Circulation Theory
- MAR599: Special Topic: Impacts of Climate Change on Ecosystem.
- Intercampus Marine Science Programs MS, PhD
- Marine Science and Technology MS
- Marine Science and Technology PhD
- Marine Science and Technology PSM
- University of São Paulo Dual PhD PhD
Structures and dynamics of ocean ecosystems. The dynamics of global to local scale biophysical interaction processes are explored in terms of basic dynamic principles. Existing ecosystem models are used to solve some realistic coastal ecosystem problems. There is a strong emphasis on solving process oriented problems requiring integration of lecture materials. A term paper is required.
- Modeling and observational exploration of coastal ocean circulation
- Oceanic frontal processes
- Biological and physical interactions
- Arctic Ocean and Climate Change
- Multi-scaling ocean model developments
- Multi-scale resolving global-regional-coastal-esturine integrated FVCOM model development
- Arctic Ocean modeling, the Gulf of Maine/New England ecosystem dynamics
- Northeast Coastal Ocean Forecast System (NECOFS) development and operations
- Coastal ocean acidification/ecosystem/water quality
- FVCOM development and improvement
Chen, C., G. Gao, Y. Zhang, R. C. Beardsley, Z. Lai, J. Qi, H. Lin (2016).
Circulation in the Arctic Ocean: Results from a high-resolution coupled ice-sea nested Global-FVCOM and Arctic-FVCOM system
Progress in Oceanography, 141, 60-80.
Zhang, Y., C. Chen, R. C. Beardsley, G. Gao, Z. Lai, B. Curry, C. M. Lee, H. Lin, J. Qi, and Q. Xu (2016).
Studies of the Canadian Arctic Archipelago water transport and its relationship to basin-local forcings: Results from AO-FVCOM
Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans, 121, doi:10.100.
Sun, Y., C. Chen, R. C. Beardsley, D. Ullman, B. Butman, H. Lin (2016).
Surface circulation in Block Island Sound and adjacent coastal and shelf regions
Progress in Oceanography, 143, 26-45.