Pingguo He, Ph.D
SMAST / Fisheries Oceanography
SMAST I (706 South Rodney French Blvd, New Bedford)
|1982||Zhejiang Ocean University||B.E.|
|1987||University of Aberdeen Scotland||Ph.D|
- Fish behavior and fishing gear
- Sustainable utilization of fisheries resource of the northeastern U.S. and beyond
- Use of flume tank modeling techniques, computer simulations, sea trials, underwater video observations, and statistical methods to understand fish behavior near fishing gears
- Application of fish behavioral knowledge to fishing gear designs and operations to reduce bycatch, discards, megafauna interactions, and impact of fishing on the seabed
- Testing a haddock trawl to reduce cod bycatch
- Designing a shrimp trawl grid to reduce bycatch of small fish and small shrimps
- Designing/testing a squid trawl to reduce butterfish bycatch in southern New England
- Testing a whiting trawl to reduce flounder bycatch in Maine
He, P., and V. Balzano (2012).
The effect of grid spacing on size selectivity of shrimps in a pink shrimp trawl with a dual-grid size sorting system
Fisheries Research, 121-122, 81-97.
Videler, J.J., and P. He (2010).
Swimming in Marine Fishes
Behavior of Marine Fishes: Capture Processes and Conservation Challenges, 1, 5-24.
He, P., and M. Pol
Fish Behavior near Gillnets: Capture Processes and Influencing Factors
Behavior of Marine Fishes: Capture Processes and Conservation Challenges, 8, 183-204.