We are thrilled to extend a warm welcome to all our international students at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth. At the Career Center, we understand that pursuing your education in a foreign country can be both exciting and challenging. That's why we are here to support you throughout your academic journey and beyond.
Our mission: empowering your global career
Our mission is to empower you to achieve your career goals, whether you plan to launch your career here in the United States, return to your home country, or explore opportunities anywhere around the world. We are dedicated to providing personalized guidance and resources to ensure you have a successful and fulfilling career. Our office can also help with empowering international students to advocate for themselves as they look for opportunities and achieve their goals. Be sure to check out all our resources linked below!
How we can help you
- Career counseling: Our experienced career advisors are here to provide one-on-one counseling tailored to your unique needs and aspirations. Whether you need assistance with resume building, interview preparation, or exploring career paths, we are here to guide you every step of the way.
- Job and internship search: We offer an extensive database of job and internship opportunities, both within the United States and globally. Our team will assist you in navigating the job market and connecting you with employers who value the diverse skills and experiences that international students bring. Visit our online platform Handshake that links students and alumni directly with employers.
- Workshops and events: Join our career workshops, seminars, and networking events designed specifically for international students. These events are excellent opportunities to enhance your professional skills, expand your network, and gain insights into various industries.
- Visa and immigration support: If you have questions about your student visa, work permits, or any other immigration-related matters, please visit the office of International Student & Scholar Center.
- Cultural integration: We understand that adjusting to a new culture can be overwhelming. Use the Cultural Wizard on GoinGlobal to become more effective in your communication across cultures.
My visa jobs
MyVisaJobs.com assists international students by providing a database of U.S. employers known for visa sponsorships, along with detailed visa reports, aiding their search for potential job opportunities and visa pathways in the U.S.
Top U.S. visa employers
This is the list of the Top 100 Visa Employers from the past year along with how many visas they were approved for their foreign national staff.
GoinGlobal empowers international students with comprehensive country and city career guides, tailored job listings, and H1B visa employer databases. By offering insights into global job markets, cultural etiquette, and networking opportunities, it provides students with the tools to navigate their international career journey effectively. Use the GoinGlobal Employer database search to find H1B Visa friendly employers. Engage with trainings and resources on how best to use this tool with a list of available trainings!
International students often face specific challenges on employment search in different countries, such as understanding the nuances and expectations of interviews, face questions about their work authorization or visa status, and even needing to practice commucating effectively during real interviews in a language other than their own. Big Interview's mock sessions can help them improve fluency and pronunciation, as well as prepare clear and concise answers and their mock interview sessions.
H1B Visa Cap Exempt Employers
The H-1B visa program allows U.S. employers to hire foreign specialists. While there's an annual cap of 85,000 visas, certain employers, like educational institutions and non-profit research organizations, are exempt. This exemption offers more employment opportunities for potential H-1B visa holders. Resources like the H1B cap-exempt employers list on platforms like myvisajobs.com can assist in identifying these employers.
ICAway supports International student networking and career branding and connects international job seekers with professionals to share knowledge, career opportunities and updates on the job market. Check out their job search advice!
International Student & Scholar Center
For all inquiries related to the topics listed, please refer to our primary page dedicated to our International Students. The International Student & Scholar Center is your go-to resource!
Student employment regulations
UMass Dartmouth provides guidelines for international students on F-1 and J-1 visas regarding on-campus employment, with occasional off-campus opportunities. Adherence to specific employment regulations is crucial to maintain visa status. Before working, students must obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) and are advised to safeguard it. The International Student & Scholar Center (ISSC) offers resources on obtaining an SSN, understanding its significance, and addressing common queries. Further details cover on-campus jobs, practical training options, academic training for J-1 visa students, and guidelines on volunteering and internships.
Curricular and Optional Practical Training Resources
This page provides guidelines on Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT) for F-1 visa students. It emphasizes compliance with U.S. labor laws and the need for a Social Security Number for first-time employment. Additionally, it mentions various durations and types of OPT, including STEM-related programs and advanced academic tracks.
International student forms
UMass Dartmouth's Forms and Instructions page offers international students a centralized resource for managing their academic and employment activities in the U.S. The page provides eforms for academic adjustments, transfer processes, employment documentation, and other administrative needs. Students can access forms related to course loads, program extensions, job offers, practical training, and more.